tight string spacing on 4 string basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by project_c, Aug 5, 2009.

1. project_c

project_c

May 8, 2008
    London, UK
    Does anyone know of any 4 string basses with tight string spacing? I have relatively small hands so I am finding the distance between strings on my 5 string Corvette ideal, and I'm wondering if anyone makes 4 strings with similar dimensions. The difference is only a few millimeters but I find myself playing noticeably faster on my 5 string, so I'd like to look into some 4 string options too. (I know Ibanez basses have tight spacing, any others?)

2. Tropic

Tropic

May 19, 2009
    Woodbridge, Va
    Schecters.

3. dangorange

dangorange

Mar 25, 2009
    Boston
    A lot of basses have the ability to adjust string spacing at the bridge.

4. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Rickenbacker

5. markseb1

markseb1

Jul 11, 2007
    Gibson or Epiphone. My Epi EB-1 (4-string) has 15mm string spacing. I have added a Hipshot bridge to replace the stock 3 point bridge. I would say this is a must-have as it greatly improves playability as you can individually set the string spacing and the action, plus you get a little more sustain.

6. WalterBush

WalterBush

Feb 27, 2005
    Yuma, Az
    Full disclosure, I'm a certified Fender technician working in a music store that carries Fender, Yamaha, and Ibanez products among others.
    Steinberger

7. Jimmy Bones

Jimmy Bones

Feb 24, 2009
    Baxley, GA
    +1

Stilettos have delightfully close string spacing. Haven't tried their Fender clone line.

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 30, 2021