Tight Strings?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by PinkFloydDan, Dec 18, 2005.

1. Hey all,
    I have no idea why this is so I am asking: My new Low End bass has really tight strings. My reverend strings are not as tight, a bit loose, really.

Anyone know why this is? Is it string gauge? Difference in the bridges? String brand?

I actually like them tighter, but I ripped a real bad blister last night during the gig so it made me think the strings are too thick and strong...Any thoughts??

I think I am going to put flatwounds on it and get her set up. Beautiful bass though.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    First are the string spacing the same on each bass and second are the string gauges you use the same on each Bass?

I 'm sure if the spacing is the same on both basses you can use the gauge set that you prefer.

and if you want the playability of your Low End J, to feel the same as your Reverend you can achieve that(or get very very close)by doing some minor adjustments to the neck and bridge on the LE Jazz.

one thing you will notice sometime

both basses can have the exact string spacing,scale length and string gauges but the neck profife can be different and cause the spacing to feel different.
  3. If you mean why would the tension be different, that would depend on the instrument scale length and vibrating string mass (somewhat related to gauge, but also dependent on things like what the strings are made of, how they're wrapped, if they're roundwound/flatwound etc).

Assuming the basses are tuned the same with the same scale length the the culprit is going to be the strings.
  4. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    I thought this thread was going to be about string spacing... :D
  5. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Your action can figure into this too. Strings that initally seem too tight can become just right with lower string height and/or less relief in the neck. They'll also take less effort to fret if they's lower. Looser strings don't work as well with low action.

JAUQO III-X Banned

Jan 4, 2002
    Endorsing artist:see profile.
    I've come to learn that light gauge strings work best for me on my 4 strings I use .087 .067 .047 .027 G-E. my six string set I add a .022 for my C,and a .100 for my B.on my 8 string I add a .017,and a .015 for my high F,and high Bb,(and I can get the action mind boggling low).on my Sub-Contra basses I use .194 .165 .115, .098/C# F# B E standard (low C# - standard E)

and on occassion I will use a .085 .065 .045 .025(on my 4 strings,and in the studio for the produser if they ask I will use a standard gauge set).
  7. Don't mean to highjack but my Fender 5 string Jazz bass has really poor tension across all of the strings. I set it up myself to Fender's specs but it only helped slightly. Im using stainless steel DR Hi Beams on it (i think.) Can different strings get me more tension?
  8. emjazz

emjazz Supporting Member

Feb 23, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I believe that those DR's have a hex core which gives the string a looser feel. Try something with a round core.