tightbond 1 question

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Jul 17, 2004.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    How long do you leave it clamped? The bottle only says 1/2 hour? That seems too short. Is 1 hour long enough?.t
  2. M_A_T_T

Mar 4, 2004
    I tend to leave stuff clamped for a long time, like overnight, especially if it's a fingerboard or body halves being glued up, but that's just me.
  3. CamMcIntyre

Jun 6, 2000
    I agree with Lex. So far [ok-i haven't really glued much] i don't trust it enough to unclamp after a half hour so the minimum that i have let anything sit clamped is 6hrs-usually closer to 12 though. Right now-i have a neck clamped-i glued it up around 8PM this evening, i'll probably unclamp it before i leave for work tomorrow [i'll check it around 10AM]. That's all
  4. emor

May 16, 2004
    (for furniture work):
    I have rushed the clamping time when gluing small parts that are not under any stress. When edge gluing panels, I try to plan my work so that it is the last thing I do before leaving in the evening and leave them clamped all night.

Re: glues for instrument making:
    Is Tightbond (or other yellow glues) pretty much the standard for building solid body instruments?
    Has anyone had a problem with glue creep?
    What are some other glues that are used; pros/cons, etc.?
  5. Rick Turner

Rick Turner

Jul 14, 2004
    I've switched to the LMI white glue. It dries harder, machines and sands better, and is probably better tonally, if you could ever prove that. I feel it has some of the advantages of hide glue with the ease of use of "aliphatic resin" glue. It has very low cold creep, and that's very good for any stressed joints which need to last...as in basses. The cost is a bit more, but how many bucks do you have in glue in an instrument, unless you're using exotic epoxies?
  6. PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    i actually just glued togather a neck ( as in like 5 min ago )

anyways....i leave anything i glue clamped for at least 12-24 hours.
  7. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    Thanks ........good info...........t