Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tightening String tension?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by walkinglines30, Jun 26, 2005.

1. walkinglines30

walkinglines30

Oct 30, 2003
    Hey, lately my strings have become increasing loose and flop around alot. I don't like that because i don't have much control with my technique with the strings are flying everywhere. I use standard gauge strings , and have a Mex Fender Stand. Jazz bass. So can anyone help me "tighten the tension"?

2. LajoieT

LajoieT I won't let your shadow be my shade...

Oct 7, 2003
    Western Massachusetts
    Hmmm, are you still in tune? I can't think there would be any significant noticable tension difference in strings over a reasonable period of time (and I've gone 3 years without string changes sometimes)

3. I had a problem similar, with the exact same kind of bass. I adjusted the saddles on the bridge so it increased the length, which helped a suprising amount.

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001

I would not recommend moving your bridge saddles to try to increase scale length in an attempt to increase string tension. Your string saddles need to be where they need to be. This is determined by where the string saddle needs to be to have proper intonation up and down the string for your chosen string height.
    I'd say that if you want to increase string tension, try a heavier string gauge. A heavier gauge string tuned to the same pitch will be tighter. I'm using 105, 85, 70, 50 on my J bass and I'm quite happy with it.

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    Sorry man, but you should be asking for advice rather than giving it.

As Matthew Bryson suggested, try some heavier strings.