Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tightening strings

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by Personator, Apr 23, 2002.

1. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    The low E and B strings on my 1999 Fender Jazz V are really loose. The E is only noticable when i play really hard, the b is unusable, all you hear in the sound of it flappign around when you hit it. The other strings are fine. What is involved in fixing this? If it involves the truss rod ill go to the store, but if its the bridge im gonna do it myself. Any suggestions?

2. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    On some basses there is just no fixing this. I have the same make and year as your bass except mine is active. The B is one of the best I have ever played. Blame Fender...

3. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Mines active too. I think the fix has something to do with the allen thingies on the bridge. BTW, does yours have porblems draining the batteries really fast? Mine never last more than 6 straight hours.

4. Whats the relief like in the neck??

If you hold the body up to your chin and look down the neck, but this time look at the stings, do they follow the shape of the fret board? Sometimes the B and E can be too low in comparison to others strings, or one side of the saddle is dipping down.

If all seems ok, take it to the store.

On the bateery thing. That is not right. I have a active 5 adn the battery lasts me well into 2 months. Try putting in a brand new one. Leave it and see if it drains it. Or play it and see if it drains it. Then when u think its run out place a 100 ohm resistor across the battery terminals and measure the voltage with a multimeter. That'll tell you if its truly dead ;).

So too, do you unplug your bass when you're not using it? Even say between sets it can be devastating if you leave it plugged in because that keeps the connection to the circuitry constant, therefore bringing the battery into play and thus draining even when you're not using it.

:D:D

Merls

5. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    My battery last long enough to say...hmm...to say that I sometimes forget my bass has a battery in it. I think you should get your bass looked at.

6. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    You have to unplug it? Ive just been turning the volume to 0... i feel realllly dumb now.

About the strings, the saddles for the E and B are way lower than the others. The strings start lower, and avout a foot up the neck they're almost level. Should I raise the saddles?

7. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    So... is adjusting the saddles to bring the strings up the right thing to do?

8. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    try raising your action or getting heavier gauge strings

9. Personator

Personator Guest

Mar 18, 2002
    Flemington NJ
    Ok i got the right size allen wrench and turned the E and B two turns, that fixed it. It souns way better now!