1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tighter Drop-D

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Nov 13, 2003.

1. ChronicPyromaniac

ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Like the title says, how would I go about makeing a drop-tuned 'E' string tighter. It seems a little too floppy and I can't dig in the way I want to.

2. This will help, also try the taper wound strings.

Nothing beats a 34' scale, for tightness!

[​IMG]
    Treena

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah man. When I got my strings, I tuned the E to a D (it was the first string I put on), and tuned the rest by ear. And everything was down a whole step, and I thought that it was in standard. I thought this for about a day, and then when I tuned it up, I though that they would probably break, but I got my tuner, and it was standard :p

4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    34' wow thats big.
    But I think you refer to 34" Long Scale.
    And to that: 35" and 36" will beat that.

5. NV43345

NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Rotosound make's a set of strings just for drop
    "D". Part# BS66 43-110. Billy Sheehan signature strings. I use these on both my Basses with Hipshots.:)
    On sale at our forum sponsor for $19.99.

6. Don't smaller gauge strings actually have more tension?

A longer scale would help. Those Billy Sheehan signature strings sound good too.

7. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    I'm toying around with Dropped C on a couple of my 34" 4 strings and it's flop city. I am using 40-105's so I suppose the solution is a heavier gauge. After that how much will truss rod/setup action assist beyond the string change?

8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Using a heavier gauge string may or may not help.

A string is basically two parts: the core and the wrap. the gauge (thickness) of the string is a result of the combination of both, however the tension of the string is mostly associated with the core.

Rather than simply buying a heavier gauge string, look specifically for strings with higher tension.

Either way, eventually you'll have a floppy E string. The actual process of dropping it and returning to standard pitch fatigues the metal over time and it gets floppy.

Try finding a string that works that you can buy in singles. You can then change it out more often than you do the rest of the strings.