Tighter Drop-D

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by ChronicPyromaniac, Nov 13, 2003.

1. ChronicPyromaniac

Jan 25, 2001
    Like the title says, how would I go about makeing a drop-tuned 'E' string tighter. It seems a little too floppy and I can't dig in the way I want to.
  2. This will help, also try the taper wound strings.

Nothing beats a 34' scale, for tightness!

3. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    Yeah man. When I got my strings, I tuned the E to a D (it was the first string I put on), and tuned the rest by ear. And everything was down a whole step, and I thought that it was in standard. I thought this for about a day, and then when I tuned it up, I though that they would probably break, but I got my tuner, and it was standard :p
  4. Luis Fabara

Luis Fabara

Aug 13, 2000
    Ecuador (South America)
    Audio Pro - Ecuador
    34' wow thats big.
    But I think you refer to 34" Long Scale.
    And to that: 35" and 36" will beat that.
  5. NV43345

Apr 1, 2003
    Rotosound make's a set of strings just for drop
    "D". Part# BS66 43-110. Billy Sheehan signature strings. I use these on both my Basses with Hipshots.:)
    On sale at our forum sponsor for $19.99.
  6. Don't smaller gauge strings actually have more tension?

A longer scale would help. Those Billy Sheehan signature strings sound good too.
  7. Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    I'm toying around with Dropped C on a couple of my 34" 4 strings and it's flop city. I am using 40-105's so I suppose the solution is a heavier gauge. After that how much will truss rod/setup action assist beyond the string change?
  8. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Using a heavier gauge string may or may not help.

A string is basically two parts: the core and the wrap. the gauge (thickness) of the string is a result of the combination of both, however the tension of the string is mostly associated with the core.

Rather than simply buying a heavier gauge string, look specifically for strings with higher tension.

Either way, eventually you'll have a floppy E string. The actual process of dropping it and returning to standard pitch fatigues the metal over time and it gets floppy.

Try finding a string that works that you can buy in singles. You can then change it out more often than you do the rest of the strings.