1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Tighter low end?

Discussion in 'Live Sound [BG]' started by Darren02, Sep 24, 2017.

1. Darren02

Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Id bet this has been posted numerous times but im kinda new so im sorry :p does anybody have some tips for getting a really tight, yet powerful low end for live performances? Something that just kinda pushes your eardrums a bunch but doesnt muddy up your tone? For example, the tone in Weezers "Island in the Sun" (its a recording yes, however ive heard some live stuff from numerous bands that sounded similar) if anyones got any tips let me know. Maybe a multiband Compressor? Technique? Hell, i dont know bahaha. Thanks in advance. :)

2. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

First thing I'd go for is a High Pass Filter like the Fdeck Pre Series 3.

Its tough to get more usable results for your dollars than the Fdeck.

Darren02 and Stumbo like this.
  3. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Commercial User

Feb 11, 2008
    the Intergalactic Mind Space
    Song Surgeon sofware
  4. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    What amp do you have? A nice tight amp can make a huge difference.

Darren02 likes this.
  5. Darren02

Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Right now my home practice is a GK 1x15 combo however im investing currently in an Aguilar 4x12 for live performance. Still havent decided on head however. But even put of 4x12s and 4x10s i still havent gotten that punchy low end im craving! Ill have to look into those Hi Pass filters though!!

6. Turn up the low mids more and have the contour turned down?

Darren02 likes this.
  7. nolezmaj

nolezmaj Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    It is all about how the cab and amp handle lows. Also, my advice is to cut, not boost. Instead of boosting lows, cut everything that you don't need - it should get you tighter sound.

Calvera and Darren02 like this.
  8. Darren02

Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    I dont use any contour as i feel it may sound alright without a mix but in a mix you barely cut thru. However i will definetly look into low mids.
    I will try that now! So leave everything flat and just cut out unnecessary frequencies?

9. nolezmaj

nolezmaj Supporting Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Europe
    Just boosting lows tends to bring rumbling muddy sound. HPF can help a lot, but you can use another approach: cut other EQ freqs to "tighten up" your sound.

Try cutting low mids and maybe around 800hz. Do this with moderation - you don't want smiley-face bedroom ton that dissapears in mix. You want to remove just a little, so your tone "blends" in the mix. Than you pump up volume, and your bass sounds huge, but is not covering other instruments. Try it!

Darren02 likes this.
  10. Darren02

Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    This DEFINETLY helped! I have a ten band eq pedal and wow! This plus slight low mid boost is a huge difference.

nolezmaj likes this.
  11. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon sofware
    Which eq. do you have and how is it set now?

Darren02 likes this.
  12. musicman7722

musicman7722 Supporting Member

See if you can roll off around 50hz. as well. I do this in my PA when I mix bands. I give that zone to the kick but hut it around 100hz.. The same thing applies to a stage amp. Yes the bass E string is at 42hz but it isn't necessary and by cutting say 50hz. and below you can really slam that open low E and have it kill.

Darren02 and Stumbo like this.
  13. Darren02

Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    M
    MXR 10 band. I have it cutting 8 db at 31, 4 db at 62.5, boosting 3db at 125, 1db at 250, cutting 3 db at 500, and flat for everything above.

14. Darren02

Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Actually didnt end up cutting low mids but rather boosting a tad and cutting the LOW lows. It worked pretty well and cutting a little around 500hz made my sound clearer, which made my low end push through a little more.

15. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon sofware
    I suggest cutting max at 31, like an hpf. There's nothing usable there. Try cutting 8 db at 62.5 as a test. Adjust volume.

A real hpf does more cutting than an eq. can. fDeck's adjustable hpf has a big following.

16. Darren02

Darren02

Apr 6, 2016
    Sparks, NV
    Ill try that now. I havent been able to find an fdeck hpf though. Is there anybody who sells it currently?

17. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

Darren02 likes this.
  18. Stumbo

Feb 11, 2008
    Song Surgeon sofware