Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tightest bottom P-pickup?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by jock, Jul 3, 2004.

1. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well. I hate the undefined and loose muddy lows some P-bass pickups have. And I would like to upgrade my MIJ P-bass someday soon. I still want the warm P-bass sound though and Im not willing to have to worry about batteries going dead in my bass. So how about Villex, Bill Lawrence, Lindy Fralin etc?

2. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I bought a MIM p-bass used 2 years ago. I got it just so I could mod it and added some Lindy Fralin pups to it. I was gonna go with the Fender pups but tried these instead, I must say By changing the pots and pups I ended up with a copletely different bass! It has nailed the old school vibe and the low end has been tightened up and well defined regardless of how much bass I add from the amp! Even when I use the aggie db924 it does'nt get muddy! I loved the sound off these pups so much they have been installed in a MIA standard ash bodied/ maple neck jazzbass. Both basses are just cleaner across their musical spectrum.

3. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks.
    Ive read many great reviews about the Fralins but on review claimed that it was mid-shy. Is that true? :meh:

4. pyrohr

pyrohr

Aug 28, 2001
    Pakistani compound
    I've seen something to that effect also, I wonder if that reviewer has a bass with Fralin's in it? My jazz is off the heezy with mids with a strong "E" with depth. I own a bunch of jazzes because I thump and pop alot and you need good mids, not just highs and lows. As for the p-bass I use it for a different reason, but I can tell you that your amp has something to do with that senerio also! I play with a GK amp and bottoms so I get no shortage of mids regardless of what I use! Now if you play with an Ampeg with 8 tens you may miss your mids. Fralin pups may not focus on heavy mids so they may not be for those pick playin rock bass players who want mids, mids, and more mids. but what they do perfectly is re-create that vintage sound of the Fender P-bass when it was the staple of most recorded music on the planet.

5. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    The Nordstrand NP4 is my favorite I've tried so far. Solid bottom end, but good full frequency response.

I've tried DM P, DM Split P, EMG so far. I have a Villex and Bart to try out also.

6. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    +1 on the Nordstrand NP4. I've just replaced the stock pickup in my MIA Stan. P-Bass with one. I had the same problems with my stock pickup that you're experiencing. Adding the NP4 has tightened up the low end response and given my bass much more definition. It's not mid-shy, it's passive and it has a great vintage tone. IMO my P-Bass sounds like a P-Bass should. :)

Contact Jay at Blueberry Hill bass if the Nordstrand sounds interesting to you.

-A.P.

7. jock

jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Thanks. The Nordstrand looks like a great pickup. I´ll look into it and see if anyone is willing to ship one to Europe.
    Has anyone compared the Nordstrand to the Fralin, Antiquity or Villex?

8. Arthur U. Poon

Arthur U. Poon

Jan 30, 2004
    SLC, Utah -USA-
    Endorsing Artist: Mike Lull Custom Basses
    On the Nordstrand, contact Jay at: www.info@blueberryhillbass.com to see if he can ship one overseas to you, or you can contact Carey Nordstrand personally. Both are great guys.

As far as the Fralin & Antiquity pickups go, IMO you can't go wrong with either. From the info I dug up (which was all word-of-mouth from several retailers), both are great vintage-style P-Bass pickups. Plus, Fralin and Duncan both have very solid reputations. Sorry, I have'nt tried any of Villex's pickups.

Also, you may want to look at Aero Instruments' webpage. They're located in Hawaii and they sell factory-direct. I was briefly considering their pickups before I was told about the Nordstrand. Apparently, they'll custom-wind a pickup to your specs. They're slightly more expensive than the rest, but it may be worth it.

Best regards, A.P..

9. john keates

john keates

May 20, 2004
    Don't forget about the Villex here, I have some and they have a pretty tight low end. I was playing yesterday with downtuning my low b and it was reproducing it well - the amp was the limiting factor as far as I could tell.

Also, You get a mid controll so you can have plenty of mid or roll it off a bit.

I havn't compared them to the others though.

10. Beefbass

Beefbass Guest

Feb 4, 2001

What AP said :hyper:

I have the Nordstrand NP4 pickup in my Pbass. I string with TI Jazz Flats. That was the sound I was after. It is my favorite bass to play. No matter where the tone knob is, you get great low end and clarity. No mushy notes. In fact, IMHO the low end on this thing could blow somebody's head off!

Get a hold of Jay Lewis at www.blueberryhillbass.com Anybody who has purchased anything from him will tell you, he is a real top notch guy. So far, I know of no one who offers better customer service. He can explain all about the Fralins, and Antiquity pickups, since he has experience with all of them.

I wouldn't knock Lindy Fralin. My guitar repair guy knows him personally-says he's one of the nicest people in the music business, and makes a top notch pickup. You'll notice the Nordstrands are about the same price as Fralins. Thats because Nordstrands are in the same league with Fralins.

IMHO, you would love the NP4. I think it'll give you the tone you seek. Contact Jay for more info-he's here as JPJ.

Hope that helps!