Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tightness of Flats for Mwah?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Jazzin', Mar 17, 2006.

1. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Does the tightness of a flatwound string on a fretless neck affect mwah? Would there be more mwah, less mwah or no change if one were to get higher tension flats?

The reason I'm asking is because the G of my TI flats broke and I'm looking to change the whole set to roto77s. Will I lose mwah? I'm a bigger fan of tighter strings. I don't think this question has ever been asked before.

2. My guess would be that tighter strings mean less mwah. If you go too slack, though, the strings won't have good mwah. I think there's a sweet spot in the middle. If your tighter strings have less than your current ones, lowering your action may give some back.

3. Jazzin'

Jazzin' ...Bluesin' and Funkin'

Anyone have unbiased experience with both TI jazz flats and Rotosound 77s?

4. Showdown

Showdown Supporting Member

Jan 21, 2002
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I haven't tried the Rotos, but I have tried TI flats and Lakland JO flats on the same fretless. The JO are medium tension, not as high as the rotos I don't think, but higher than the TIs. I got good mwah with both. I think that is more about setup than tension. Of course YMMV.

5. Flats don't really give the mwah, IME.
    I really like nickel rounds to bring out the zest of fretless.

6. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I get a great "groan" (read: not "mwah") from Fender 9050s. Then again, I also play on an unfinished rosewood fingerboard.

7. I'd imagine that higher tension strings will mwah a bit less... but they can also withstand a slight lowering of the bridge saddles to compensate. This should bring the wmah back.

8. skewh

skewh

Sep 5, 2005
    Ithaca, NY
    I use Rotosound 77's on my fretless Jazz Bass and I get plenty of mwah. The tension to me is very different depending on where I put my plucking hand, and I like a lot of room to negotiate the tension and tone.

9. The mwah is in the setup. I use a clearance around 7 business cards or so.

I've found the rounds have better mwah than the flats. I've used TI Flats and Fender 9050. The round EXL-220 that just came off my MIM-J fretless had mwah for days. Also started chewing up the rosewood board.

10. the low one

the low one

Feb 21, 2002
    UK
    I’ve used both and prefer the 77’s. IMHO TI’s last well and have a great ‘thumpy’ tone but the 77’s and that bit brighter and give me the tone I want on my MIM Fender Jazz fretless. I prefer the slightly higher tension too.