Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tightness on my fretless?

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by HugRainbows, Jul 27, 2005.

1. HugRainbows

HugRainbows

Jul 27, 2005
    I recently defretted my bass, and I baught some D'addario ECB82's, before doing any research. And right now, they seem too tight for my bass. I've snapped a string before by tightening it too much :rollno: , and I didn't want to do it with these too. Maybe, it's because I took the neck off while defretting it. Or maybe it could be that the strings are too thick, and I need to adjust the bridge. I'm not really quite shure what to do, so if anyone has any advice, I'd love it! Thanks tons.

2. first off, are you tuning them to the right pitch? Stupid question, but just need to check...

3. The strings may just have a different feel. I'm not familiar with that particular string, but flat wound strings can be stiffer than round wound strings.

4. Hokay... I don't understand how taking a neck off and replacing it in the same position could change it's length, so I don't thing that is the problem. Is it a "long-neck" and are you buying the right size? I also, IMO, would think that if the strings are thicker, they'd be harder to break... Are you using the same guage each time?

Is it the same string breaking all the time? Check the nut and the bridge for burrs. Hopefully, the last time, you just got a defective string in the set. (If it only happened once.)

Let me know whassup. Just curious how it turns out.

5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

Jun 2, 2002
    Columbia River Gorge
    Did you have a luthier do the de-fret ? If not you should seriously consider a pro-luthier setup. It won't cost all that much and it can make a HUGE difference.