1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tilia vs. Ash bodies on L2500..opinions?

Discussion in 'G&L Bass Forum' started by funkythumb, Sep 23, 2008.

1. funkythumb

funkythumb Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Atlanta
    Hey all,
    I recently picked up a great L2500, maple board and American Tilia wood body. I've always liked the sound of the Tilia for G&L's.
    I'm curious to know what the tonal differences are in L2500's with ash vs tilia bodies?
    I've got ash/rosewood basses at home and dig the sound though they're all different bass brands.
    I'm thinking of picking up another used L2500 with a rosewood board and am trying to decide whether to wait for one with tilia or ash body.
    Weigh in everybody, thanks. :)

2. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    Tilia is the same thing as Basswood so it should be closer to Alder than Ash in sound. I believe the L2500's that are tilia have an Ash top if I remember correctly, so depending on how thick that is, it could make a difference as well.

3. funkythumb

funkythumb Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2005
    Atlanta
    ok, so closer to alder...that's a good tone indicator. Man oh man, and the bass is still so powerful.
    Have you tried the ash?

4. lug

lug

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
    I have an Ash L2000. I have a few basswood basses but not G&Ls. In general, Ash should be a bit brighter, Alder/basswood a bit more rounded/balanced if all other things are equal. For me, the tonal range of the G&L pups more than covers any range you could want, regardless of body wood choice.

5. 1954bassman

1954bassman

Jun 7, 2004
    Hickory, NC
    I have a Tilia L2500 with a maple top - fretted. It sounds fantastic, and will jar your innards.

My other L2500 is ash - frettless, with flats. Completely different, I realize, but I prefer this bass's overall sound to the Tilia L2500. I know the flats, and ebony board play a big part; but the ash body just has more booty (to me).

Mark