Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tilia?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by rockbassist1087, Apr 29, 2003.

1. rockbassist1087

rockbassist1087 Guest

Nov 29, 2002
    Long Island, NY
    The new G&L L-2500s come with an American Tilia body. I've heard that this wood is related to Basswood. First off, is this true? Second, what are the tonal qualities of Tilia and is it a soft wood like basswood? Thanks

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
  3. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    It might be noted that while basswood is soft, it is known to be a good-sounding wood. It is also inexpensive, and so is used on some cheap basses.

G&L switched to basswood for their 5s a few years ago. The stated reason was in order to reduce the weight while maintaining a good tone. In a way, I admire them for taking a chance, in that people could reject the basses just because of the association with cheaper brands.

If I remember correctly, alder is not particularly hard either, but it has an air of legitimacy because it is standard for Fenders.

Also, I think I remember (I could be wrong) Mike Tobias using it for an MTD. And you know he wouldn't choose it because it is cheap!