Till The Day I Die, I'll Never Understand People Who Pull This Kind Of Crap

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HubbardsFate, Jul 15, 2019.

1. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    BC SPCA caring for 9 cats found in storage bins | BC SPCA

Nine cats crammed together in sealed plastic storage bins, and left in a vacant lot to die...oh wait, whoever did it punched some air holes into the bins, so there's that I guess. :meh:

This happened in the city I live in. Something similar happened here several months ago...by sheer chance, some guy at the local landfill came across a cardboard box that was taped up, but he could hear meowing from inside. It was only one cat in that case, but still.

I don't know how it is anywhere else, but here in British Columbia, Canada - and pretty much all across this country that I can tell - the sorry sacks of s*%t that do this kind of stuff, if they are ever caught, rarely face any serious consequences.

A guy in New Brunswick was sentenced a couple of months ago to a year in jail and a ten-year ban on owning animals, after leaving his dog to starve to death in his abandoned apartment. When a vet conducted a necropsy, it was discovered that the dog had resorted to eating the stuffing from a couch in a futile bid to stay alive.

The maximum that this guy could have gotten under Canadian law was five years in prison, a lifetime ban on owning animals and, I think, a fine...but again, all he was given was a year in jail and a ten-year ban. What's the point of even HAVING maximum sentences if they're not imposed in cases that so clearly call for 'em? :banghead:

Killed_by_Death, osv and FRoss6788 like this.
  2. charlie monroe

charlie monroe Gold Supporting Member

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    You do a poor job of protecting animals from sexual abuse up there as well.

JRA likes this.
  3. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Uuuhhh...pardon?

Are you aware of some statistics and/or news stories that I haven't read?

4. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
  5. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I don't even need to read the story, that headline says it all...how did it take THIS long for that to happen? :meh:

The so-called justice system in this country is in need of a pretty radical overhaul in my opinion.

6. Pilgrim

Pilgrim Supporting Member

IMO people who treat animals like this will also treat other people like this. That sadistic or emotionless profile fits abusers and killers as well. I have no documented evidence to cite, but I have absolutely no doubt that there is a very strong relationship between the two sets of behaviors.

I agree with the OP, the sentences for animal abusers are sadly inadequate and letting them ever own animals again is stupidity in action.

MonetBass, dwm74 and Michedelic like this.
  7. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    Another frustrating thing is this: What happens after this guy in New Brunswick does his year in jail?

Fine, they imposed a ten-year (should've been a lifetime) ban on him owning animals...but is anyone actually going to ENFORCE that after he's realeased? Or will they be going with the 'honour system'? :rollno:

8. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Do you want harsher punishment or do you want his mental illness treated?

JRA likes this.
  9. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I followed the case. There was nothing in any of the reports in regards to the guy being diagnosed with a mental illness of any kind.

And he got off lighter on the animal-owning ban than I thought; he only got a three-year ban.

10. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    Do you need a diagnosis?

Actions speak louder than pieces of paper.

Besides, when did the CBC last report anything in an open, factually complete and uncoloured manner?

11. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    No, I actually don't need a diagnosis.

Some people are just A-holes who are capable of unspeakable acts of cruelty. And they should be punished accordingly. Like seriously, at a minimum, this guy should never own an animal again.

And is the CBC any worse than any other news organization? Dude, you're from the land that birthed Fox News...:roflmao:

12. charlie monroe

Feb 14, 2011
    Buffalo, NY
    No, I'm Canadian. I just happen to live in USA

HubbardsFate likes this.
  13. catcauphonic

catcauphonic High Freak of the Low Frequencies Supporting Member

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    Sadly, there are no shortage of warped individuals who think this is a reasonable way to get rid of litters of critters that their pet cat or dog had. I'd bet that there is also a large correlation between them and those who were too lazy to get their pet fixed when it first became old enough.

That's how we ended up finding our one and only family dog (neighbor saw the car in front of him throw a bag out a moving car window), and I read headlines too often about that kind of barbarism.

The fact that animal cruelty is only a misdemeanor is insane :rollno:

dwm74 and Stewie26 like this.
  14. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

HubbardsFate likes this.
  15. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    No shortage of people willing to pinch hit for karma. Batter up! I say

smeet and slapshot like this.
  16. catcauphonic

Mar 30, 2012
    Seattle WA
    I'd actually be surprised to find out that our Northern neighbors have higher statistics of animal abuse per populace than here in the USA.

Heck, the no having sex with farm animals law here in WA is only like 8 years old, because some feller died on a farm like an hour outside of Seattle 10 or so years ago.

Some things you just don't think you need to make a law about, and then...

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  17. HubbardsFate

HubbardsFate

Oct 18, 2006
    I think I remember reading about that. The guy was getting amorous with a horse I think? And the horse kicked him (understandably so) and severed a major artery or something, and the guy bled out? :rollno:o_O

catcauphonic likes this.
  18. Got what he deserved in my humble opinion.
    My rescued dog was badly abused before I got him. Someone beat the crap out of him and broke a couple of his ribs when he was less than a year old. Also, the vet thinks someone gave him a kick or blow to his head as the cartilage in his left ear is damaged and his left ear sticks out and will not fully extend downward unless we manually pull it down. I wish I could find the "BASTARD" who beat him so I could see that he gets his karma. I just can't imagine what kind of A**Hole would beat up a little puppy.

DSC00162.JPG

Last edited: Jul 16, 2019
  19. slobake

slobake resident ... something Supporting Member

I agree with the insanity of abusing animals. I have also witnessed the abuse of people and the light sentences they receive. Know someone who was habitually beaten by her husband. One night I got a call around 12 am that she was in the emergency room. He had beaten the crap out of her. Even then, it was hard to convince her to press charges. She finally did and she ended up in a shelter with her two young sons. Helped them find a place to live and they are doing better now.
    Mrs slo and I went to court with her. The man who did this was given a restraining order, mandatory psychiatric evaluation and walked away. This is no excuse for abusing animals but I wanted to point out that abusing people can be treated lightly as well.

danesdad, OldDog52, GregC and 3 others like this.
  20. Generally speaking, the same jerk who abuses animals would probably have no problem abusing people too, especially if they have a physical advantage over the ones they abuse.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 12, 2021