1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tilt Back Cabinets

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Big Benner, Apr 17, 2010.

1. joeyjoejoe

joeyjoejoe

Apr 12, 2010
    i have a tilt back GK 2x10 which is pretty cool for when you can't really be that loud but want to hear yourself.

2. Tilting back a cab is pretty cool and helps you hear a more full range tone.
    I use an NL-210 (euphonic audio), it has a little spring loaded handle on the bottom that allows you to tilt it and the footprint is small so I can elevate it by stacking it on a chair, milk crate, etc, helps to decouple it from a boomy stage and gets the speakers closer to your ear. Makes the bass rumble on stage more manageable and allows more volume with less complaints from the sound man. Some people love doing this, others are surprised and unhappy with what they hear. Try it out is my suggestion.

3. BassyBill

BassyBill The smooth moderator... Gold Supporting Member

Mar 12, 2005
    West Midlands UK
    Good summary.

For smaller gigs when I just use my Markbass 102P combo without extension cab, the tilting back is a massively useful feature, imo . It helps me to hear myself more easily, means I get more of a full range tone as the sound is directed towards my ears and it makes managing my volume on stage a lot easier.

I've considered this an absolute must for years whenever just using a 210 as a monitor. When I was gigging with a Hartke 2.5xl, I needed to carry a stand around so I could tilt back the cab. Now it's very convenient to be able to do so without a stand.

Having said all that and with reference to the OP, tilting back actually increases the stage footprint a little - my combo on its own tilted back takes up slighly more area on stage than it does when stacked, without tilting back, on the extension cab. The difference is pretty small, but I have noticed it on stages where space is really, really tight.