1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

tilt back handle/stand

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by topper, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Hey all,

I seem to remember seeing cabs that used a spring loaded speaker handle as a tilt back stand, but now I can't find them anywhere.

Anyone know of any examples of these? Have you ever used one?

-Topper

2. bump?

3. jdlwareagle

jdlwareagle

Nov 13, 2005
    Mobile , AL
    Euphonic Audio cabs

4. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    My Euphonic Audio VL208 is equipped with one :D

5. How much of a tilt do you get? Does it make much difference in being able to hear yourself?

6. jmain

jmain Oo, Uhn't uh, Yes! Supporting Member

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    Awesome cab!!

I think the tilt back really helps to hear the cab on a tight stage. I installed a spring-loaded tilt back handle on my Epifani PS112. You have to add 4 rubber feet also so the cab will clear the handle when not using the tilt. The handle is about 2.5 inches when engaged.

I found the handle and feet on the bay. After they came in I went to the hardware store and picked up some screws. One screw for each foot and either 3 or 4 for the handle. Just get’em close to the corners and near the edges.

I don’t have any pics of the install right now.

7. Did you get a recessed handle or a surface mount? The surface mount seems like the easiest install (no cutting) But a recessed handle might be cleaner and not need the feet.

8. barrybass33

barrybass33 Supporting Member

Jan 7, 2008
    westchester new york.
    A great amp stand. Is the mark bass amp stand. very portable I have 2 these things are great. you won't regret it....

9. unlined4string

unlined4string Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    Baltimore County, Md.
    There's also a product called the AmpWedge that goes under the cabinet to point it upward and partially decouple it from the floor. It works well and give you some amount of control over the angle.

10. Jazzdogg

Jazzdogg Less barking, more wagging!

Jul 29, 2006
    San Diego, CA
    It elevates the front of the cabinet only a few inches, but it does seem to make an audible difference. And although it may sound from your position on stage that elevating the cab decreases its bass output, it sounds just fine out in the audience. When I want to hear myself even more clearly without having to turn up the volume, putting the VL208 on a small amp stand raises it even closer to ear level. Here's an example:

http://www.guitarcenter.com/Musicians-Gear-Deluxe-Amp-Stand-451065-i1322960.gc

Double bassist and TB moderator Chris Fitzgerald took the process of cabinet elevation one step farther and adapted his VL208 for pole mounting.

11. A conventional amp stand won't work well for me. I run two cabs, a 112 on bottom and a 210 on top with my amp head sitting on top. I just need to angle the 210 a little towards my ears.

I've seen the ampwedge. I can't explain why, but it just doesn't appeal to me.

Hadn't seen the MarkBass Mark Stand. Just found this thread: http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=465070 Looks interesting, but I still think a handle is what I'm after.

A question that have is, if I add a recessed amp handle as a stand, will I need to put extra 'feet' on the cab so the handle clears the floor when not in use?

If so, any idea where to get feet like that?

12. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    I got the surface mount. The feet are needed b/c the surface mount sticks out ever so slightly. The feet (and tilt) are good for de-coupling on hollow stages and whatnot too. Keeps you from bringing either the wedge or the pad. ;)

Rubber feet
    http://shop.ebay.com/items/__rubber...rQ20feetQ20ampQQ_npmdnuZQQ_trksidZm38Q2el1313

13. Yeah, not having to remember to pack yet another item that I'm bound to forget is one of the main reasons I like the handle solution.

I was planning on a recessed handle, but it sure would be a lot less work to put on a surface mount and some rubber feet....

Thanks for the ideas!

14. Surface mount with rubber feet is definitely the way to go... simple and secure. Don Oatman of LDS cabs uses these on his small cabs, and they work great.

Here's a picture for an example of how they are mounted.

stand2.

15. Pretty sweet. So, do you still just set your bass head on top of the tilted cab? It doesn't slide off?

16. jmain

Apr 23, 2005
    Alexandria, VA
    My PS112 has a top strap-type handle. The feet of my amp (LMII) hook right in front of the strap (I put a cloth under it b/c the strap will scratch the bottom of the amp – another story). I’ve never had it slide off, even when really cranking the cab.

I like your idea of using it on top of another cab and tilting it (or on the floor). I did this when I had 2 x 112 and it worked great

17. jjk2007

jjk2007 Supporting Member

Apr 16, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Endorsing Artist: DNA
    My EA NL210 has the spring loaded handle, and it makes enough of a difference for me. Sometimes I have to play close to the cab and having that slight angle really helps me get more of the punch and highs of the cab.