Tilting a 4x10

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by cosmodrome, Jul 27, 2004.

1. cosmodrome

cosmodrome Registered User

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    i've been noticing that all the bass seems to blast away from me at kneepoint in rehearsal. my d410t eden is on wheels and i've been thinking about taking the wheels off and tilting it with a bit of wood to get a bit more monitoring going on. i'm only worried the head will slide off (19" plastic rack). the floor is all wood.

or should i just put the 410 on a case or a box.
  2. Sure tilting the cab to hit you more at ear level will allow you to hear yourself better. You might consider setting your cab on top of the drummers kick case, this works well for me. You can always put the head on floor next to your cab, this helps save tube life also.............cab volume makes tubes vibrate.

Raising the cab completely off the floor also keeps the wood from absorbing all the bass frequencies.

I find on some smaller stages the bass almost echo's or vibrates through the floor allowing you to feel it more than hear it. I always like those rooms the best.

3. Basspolizei

Basspolizei Pseudo bass player/collector Gold Supporting Member

Jun 23, 2004
    Buy basses and lots of guns before it's too late! You have been warned.
    Last post was good advice. You could also attempt (if room allows) to get out away from your cab. Such as, across the room from your cab. Some cabs projection causes best felt and heard frequencies to be heard at a distance of over twnety feet away and beyond. In a house for practice, I would even walk into another room to hear my cab from a neutral point. It was odd but I could hear myself in the mix...
  4. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    thanx all,

the tilting didn't work very well, then it was in direct contact with the wooden floor and didn't sound very good (un5ound, haha) so i put it on the singers flightcase. sounds better.

it works, but i'm looking for something bigger.
  5. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    There are stands available for a 410. I have a friend who has one that raises his cabinet about 10 inches in the front and 4 or 5 in the back. It is enough to make a big difference in what you hear. He uses an SWR 750 head on a 410 with no danger of falling off. I will see if I can find out who made it and post it here.
  6. Rock&Roll

Jul 21, 2002
    this might make a heavy and expensive speaker stand, but a 15" or 18" speaker cab underneath would be good for your all-around sound and your monitoring. Dumb suggestion, I know.
  7. I found a nice black storage box about three foot high which puts the cab right at my chest. Works and feels great and I have plenty of storage space. Never did care for having it down on the floor. I also use a 2 inch piece of foam between my amp head and cabinet to keep from shaking things to pieces.

Just thought I'd add my two cents worth.
  8. hmm...easy one to do...get some milk crates and sit the cab on these. Worked very well for my 2x12! And they are free.... :hyper: , make good things to carry your gear in as well
  9. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    I'm a fan of the tilt. :cool:
  10. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Yep. Too many bass players blast the best part of their sound through their legs. I try to bring 2 cabs to gigs to get a good balance of sound hitting the audience and my own head.

If I'm only using 1 cab, I have a metal fold-out stand which is height adjustable and also gives the cab a slight backwards tilt.

I've also started drawing plans for my next home made cab = a 2x12" with 2x6" mid drivers and a 1" silk dome tweet which - wait for it - looks like an ordinary cab but has the front baffle angled back. The idea is it I can put it on the floor and still get the benefit of floor coupling, and still hear myself.
  11. cosmodrome

Apr 30, 2004
    ****town, Netherlands
    thanx again everybody,

my eden head is 4 ohm and my speaker is as well, so even if i had the wt550 with the 2/4 ohm switch 1200 euro's for another cab would be too rich for my blood haha!

where did you get that size of storage box from southpaw59.
    i was thinking about putting 6 cases of empty heinekencases beneith it. but that's just my luck :hyper:
  12. cosmodrome, I found my box at a surplus (junk) store. It use to be a flight case for some sort of GTE equipment. I acually painted it black myself. It's exaclly the same width and depth as my Hartke 4-10 cab... looks great on stage. I'm 6' 4" and with the box, the cab, 2inches of foam, and a 8 space rack I'm looking eye level at my volume and EQ controls.... which is another bonus.

Anything to get it up around your chest area... you'll never go back to putting your amp down on the floor.
  13. I forgot to mention another idea for a stand is to simply take two pieces of 5/8 plywood cut to the height you need and cut a 5/8 (maybe slightly over) slot in the middle half way through on each peice.

You can then fit them together in the shape of an X and you have an instant amp stand that doesn't take up much space when not in use.
  14. Eric Moesle

Eric Moesle Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2001
    Columbus OH
    My solution to getting my 4x10 off the ground and at ear level: I got a road case for my cab. I roll it in all in one piece, remove the cab, place it on top of the case. Simple, effective, and looks great. Not to mention, it keeps my cab looking like new.
  15. 57pbass

57pbass Supporting Member

I have used a milk crate to rest my Goliath 4 x 10 on and it worked real well....
  16. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    My guitarist does this with his Marshall combo and it does indeed work well. I've though about doing the same. However, too many venues in Australia have stairs. The combined weight of cab+case would be too much for this weakling to handle.
  17. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Interesting. What drivers/tweeter etc are you planning on using? Sounds like a a great project. Im drawing on a 15+12+6 right now with B&C neo 12 and 15 and the Eminence 6.

Sorry for the hijack. :bag:
  18. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I haven't settled on a 12" yet but I've narrowed the 12's down to theee:-

1) 2x Beyma 112ND/W's
    2) 2x Beyma 12LW30/N
    3) 2x B&C 12HPL64

These are all lightweight Neodymium. I've listed them in order of preference which as it turns out, also happens to be in order cost - $520, $320, and $150 respectively. I must have expensive taste:) Then again maybe not - that B&C looks like a bargain for what it can do on paper. The other two certainly perform better but the price difference bugs me.

The 6" are going to be Eminence Alpha 6's crossed over high enough to take their limited x-max out of the equation.

The Tweet is looking like being a Peerless 811647 1" silk dome.

What were you planning?
  19. jock

Jun 7, 2000
    Stockholm, Sweden
    Well so far it looks like it will be:
    B&C 15 HPL 76
    B&C 12 HPL 76
    Eminence Alpha 6 crossed over somehow.
  20. Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Jock I don't want to hijack this thread any more. I'll sent you a PM.

SORRY EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!