1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Tilting a cabinet with head on top?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Warpeg, Jul 2, 2014.

1. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    So, I recently acquired a GK 1001RB-II (no rack) and 410SBX Plus. I like the idea of only using a 4x10 cab and I am a tall guy, so I am exploring ideas in cabinet tilting. I may look into removing the rear casters to allow the rig to tilt back, or maybe I'll get a tilting amp stand....undecided. However, my bigger concern is what to do with the 1001RB-II while the cabinet is tilted back. I'm sure it'll slide right off the back of the cabinet while it's tilted. Can anyone share any ideas to cheaply/easily keep the 1001RB-II on top of the cabinet while it's tilted?

2. Hi.

Fender had the solution to both problems very early on.

Tilt-back legs and tabs to attach the head to the cab.
    Very elegant solution that I would welcome back in a sec.

It's not for tilting purposes for me, but I tie my rig (2*TL505 +tube head) onto a dolly with a 2" ratchet tie-down.

Then there's the velcro trick for securing the head, etc.

Regards
    Sam

3. Perhaps bring a small little table, stand (milk crate?) to put the amp on on to the side next to or behind the cabinet as I would not risk it either putting it on top of the tilted cab or on the floor. Or if your comfortable doing so you could put together some sort of braces that would hold the amp onto the cabs top but that may require drilling holes and drilling screws into the cab. As for tilting the cab your idea to take the back casters off may work and if you are going to do that the casters you can slide or pull out to remove would be awesome for you that way you can put them back when it's time to load in and loud out.

4. Philonius

Philonius Supporting Member

Mar 22, 2009
    2k W of the Duwamsh
    I saw something in a thread featuring what was essentially a fEARless copy that was really neat and functional. Many of Greenboy's cabs have a horizontal tilt back option, this worked well with that. I looked for that thread, but it may be deleted. I think there is something in the Greenboy forum, but I've never bothered registering...

It was basically a bent sheet metal plate which wrapped over the front edge of the cab, utilizing the port slots, a flat plate which the heads feet sat upon, and a bent up flange which kept the head from sliding back. Maybe similar to the Fender solution referenced above. It makes a lot of sense.

5. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

You could always just screw some tabs on the back that prevent the head from falling off the back, but that would definitely affect resale value. I don't think velcro would hold a 1001 unless you had a bunch of really strong velcro.

6. Passinwind

Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    Nope, it's here: http://www.talkbass.com/threads/diy-12-6-1-cab-design.1064465/

29npISM.

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  7. hazmatt

hazmatt

Jun 3, 2012
    san diego
    put the head under the front of the cab to tilt it :D

arai and Murdoc_420 like this.
  8. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    If you get the industrial strength Velcro at Home Depot, the trick will be not to use too big of a piece, because it will make removal of the head difficult.

A nice, long strip along the front, underside will work, and by lifting up on the back edge of the head, removal is possible.

Don't get your grandmother's type Velcro at a sewing shop.

9. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    What will the Velcro do to that cab's rat fur over time? Won't the constant "ripping apart" cause the rat fur to become worn?

10. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    The (discontinued) 410SBX is a sealed cab; there aren't any ports to anchor a mechanical fastener. However, I like the concept. I may have to explore the face of the cab to see if there is a usable gap between the metal grill's edge and cab' inner edge.

11. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    I got sick of this problem and the constant fear that my head might slide off no matter how well I attached it.
    So I built a speaker stand for my 15/6/1 that raises it to 8x10 height. It's just a frame of 2x3 lumber painted black. Very stable, works great, and it also lifts my amp up to where the controls are easy to see.

12. john m

john m Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2006
    The Velcro has a self adhesive strip that might stick to the rat fur. I never though about it too much though because although I take good care of my stuff,
    I don't baby it. Scratch and dents are part of my musical voyage.

13. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    I considered lifting instead of tilting, but I remember reading in a few places that bassists complained of losing some low frequency response once the cab was X number of inches off the floor. Also, I'm not sure that I'd want to lug around a wooden frame; the tilt stands are lightweight and fold flat.

14. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Understood, but my fear is that the rat fur would eventually become too worn to work correctly with the Velcro. It sure wouldn't make my day to watch my head slide off the back of the cab in mid-set. Haha

15. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2006
    Woodland Hills, CA
    Yeah, it's a lug but it only weighs a few pounds, and cost about $10. And I might lose some bass, but to tell the truth part of the reason I did this was to avoid flooding the stage with too much low end. The fEARful has a scary amount of lows. If I'm on a stage where I want high volume and lots of lows, I'll leave the cab on the floor.

Groove Doctor likes this.
  16. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

Yeah, it will leave noticeable wear. My Markbass head is in a bag with velcro so it can stick to a cab, it has left it's mark on my cabs. I am with John, I don't care too much if it gets a little rough, I don't own it for it's looks.

17. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Well, after weighing all of the suggestions and doing some research, I think I just install a couple of rubber feet on top of the cab to act as stops for the head. I'll pair that with a Standback and call it a day.

18. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    Um, why not just set the head on the floor???

19. Warpeg

Warpeg Supporting Member

Jun 20, 2005
    Ohio
    Setting expensive electronics on the same plane (read the floor) as beer and the band's heavy foot traffic is just asking for trouble.

20. spiritbass

spiritbass Supporting Member

Jun 9, 2004
    Ashland, MO
    I use Ampwedges. You can see one under the cab, the other is under the back of the amp:

P1140011_zps98b8e01a.

/\/\3phist0 likes this.