Tilting back your cabinet on stage?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Aram, Jan 12, 2004.

1. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    Does anyone have any experience with this?

I saw a picture of Les Claypool's Ampeg 410 tilted back in a recent issue of BP, and it seemed like a good idea to me. I imagine you would compromise a bit of low end, but it might be worth it to hear yourself better.

Does anyone find this necessary for any gig situations (e.g., a small stage)? What are the pros/cons?

2. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    If I'm using a single 4x10 cab (I usually run two stacked), I like to tilt it back. I ran a poll on this awhile back and there seemed to be a fair number of advocates for doing this. Floor contact isn't always a good thing IME, and personal tastes on floor contact vary, anyway, so YMMV.

3. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
    secretdonkey -

Thanks for the response. I can't find your thread with the poll -- if you have a chance could you post it here?

BTW, I see you have an Avatar 410 -- how's that working out for you? I advised my brother (also a bass player) to get one, and he's stoked over it! He's driving it with an 800RB, and it sounds terrific.

4. DB5

Jul 3, 2001
    Austin Texas
    Aram, One easy way to achieve this is to measure the width of your cabinet and cut a 2 by 4 to length, paint it black and stand it up on its side to tilt your cabinet back, works great.
  5. secretdonkey

Oct 9, 2002
    Austin, TX
    Aram, here's the old poll:

I really like the Avatar b410. Check my TB user review (for some reason they file reviews under real name instead of TB handle - look for the b410 review by Mark Tindall-Gilmore). If I only take one speaker on a gig, it's always the Goliath, but I really like the way that the two compliment each other. I put the Avatar on the ground (putting the cab with weaker bass response = less boom, more definition) and turn the tweeter off. The Goliath tweet pumps out enough highs for both, and the tweet is up closer to ear level. Anyway, I think the Avatar is a wonderful cab for the money. Alone it's not equal to the Goliath, but I think that together they give me as good or better a sound as two Goliath cabs would.

DB5: I use the door to a two space rack box to do the same thing!

6. Danksalot

Apr 9, 2003
    Dallas, Texas, USA
    Endorsing Artist: SIT Strings
    I was in a band that played in a church sanctuary every week. The place was pretty boomy to start with, so I tilted my 4X10 up at me facing away from the audience like a monitor. The soundman was happy, I was happy. End of story. I did this every week for a couple years.
  7. bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    I had a case/stand built for my Nemesis that puts the front of the amp 6 inches off the floor up front and 4 inches in the back. Otherwise the amp would be firing into my legs and I can't hear myself. I much prefer my setup and have been running it like that for four years now.
  8. jdombrow

jdombrow Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2002
    Colorado Springs, CO
  9. Aram

Feb 2, 2003
    New York, NY
  10. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

My Peavey BAM 210 combo has the drivers mounted on a titled baffleboard, which gives my ears the clarity of a tilted back cabinet, but without the loss of lows that you get from tilting back.
  11. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I tilt my Peavey TNT 115 back, and i have the same amount of bass, but its not the good kinda, its pure mud, with very little punch. this also could be because im playing in a room with a low ceiling.
  12. gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    I like to use a tilt back of some sort for gigs where I can't stand far enough in front of my rig to hear the lows, mids, and highs. Like most, I hate those gigs where you have to stand 1-2 feet in front of your cab.

I like that amp wedge. You could make one yourself using scrap wood for a tiny fraction of the price. Ofcourse, it wouldn't look as cool as the amp wedge.
  13. I suggest a Quik-Lok BS-317 amp stand. It's great, and super stable, folds up to nothing and is very light weight. I don't always use mine but all the geeetar players in my band bought one after trying mine.... I had to fashion a home made little bracket to keep my precious Walter Woods amp from falling off while sitting on top of the tilted back box. I could not do this with my heavier rig and would have to put it else where, but it's about tone and hearing in different situations. I've got several tools that I use for different situations. I have the BS-313 and BS-317 and Auralex Gramma in my tool trick bag...:D