Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tim Alexander anyone?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Bad Brains, Jul 12, 2004.

1. Bad Brains

Bad Brains Banned

Jan 7, 2004
    Detroit, michigan
    I have been trading Mp3 of the Last 2 Primus tours. Right now i'm getting a collection of Herbs Drum solos. I never really had much interest in drum solos, espically ones over 15 minuts long. But this guy is just phemonimal. How hasn't this guy taken over the world yet?

2. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    I have no idea why. The guy is amazing though. He should get more props than he does.

3. Lackey

Lackey

May 10, 2002
    Los Angeles
    Incredible. One of my all time faves....he's actually pretty well known by now, even Steve Smith looks up to him! His beats are original, and his rolls and chops are soooo flavorful. One of the few drummers you can recognise by their style within a few seconds.

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Because Brann Dailor is doing it.

5. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    Similar to JD blair, I find Tim's playing to be really excellent, because, while he definitely has some insane chops, what really stands out is his quirky sense of rhythm and totally unique approach to relatively conventional beats.

6. Aaron Saunders

Aaron Saunders

Apr 27, 2002
    Ontario
    His drum solo at the Toronto show blew my freakin' mind. Amazing, amazing drummer.

7. Jeffrey A-Bomb

Jeffrey A-Bomb Drink Coffee & Destroy Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2000
    Silver Spring, MD
    Yeah, I saw him do solos on both the Tour De Fromage and the Hallucinogenetics tour, both were awesome. Les and the Whamola added a lot of cool flavor to them as well. Tim rocks! :bassist:

8. srxplayer

srxplayer

May 19, 2004
    Highland, CA
    Anyone who can work his way through Claypool and LaLonde and keep his sense of rhythm and keep time is amazing.

This guy should be recognized by the general music public more than he does.

9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    I think he's too good for Primus :eek: And I love Primus.

10. I-Love-Ratm

I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    I think Tim is unreal but there is something about Brain that I preferred

11. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Spaciousness. Tim gets too busy sometimes (most of the time) and doesn't leave little pockets to let the music breate like Brain does.

12. I think he is perfect for Primus.

He just adds so much to the music. You can't really tell, unless you are really listening. But all three of them just melt into the coolest weirdest sounding band ever.

13. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    For reference, I do have all of their albums and listen to them frequently over a period of 4 years now. (it's amazing I'm not totally sick of them now) so I am really listening. :p

14. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Listening recommendation:

Michael Manring's Thonk, avec Tim Alexander et Alex Skolnick.

15. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    LOVE Primus, LOVE Tim, DESPISE extended drum solos (except for 1 donati one) After about 5 minutes of his drum solo at their Montreal show I was about ready to pull my hair out.... but that's just me.

16. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I found I enjoyed my primus concert at lot better after the fact. I was just way too tired when I went to enjoy it fully. But I'm digging the live recording of it a lot.

17. sargebaker

sargebaker Commercial User

May 2, 2004
    Montreal QC CA
    owner/builder, ISLAND Instrument Mfg.
    I enjoyed it too, but after seeing some of the other sets, I was kind of dissapointed with ours. I'm buying the Manchester one, I gotta hear Thela Hun Ginjeet! But La Villa STrangiato.... :eek:

18. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    it was so awsome when i saw them. the entire time tim had on this like white suit (white shirt, pants, hat, and gloves) and there were black lights on him, so practically the entire show that's all you could see. it looked really cool.

19. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah, any drum solo longer than 3 minutes long for me is over doing it.

20. Muzique Fann

Muzique Fann Howzit brah

Dec 8, 2003
    Kauai, HI
    Just thought I'd chime in here - I'd rather listen to Herb over Brain anyday, you can really hear his personality in his playing. Brain is great and all - to me he just comes across sort of bland...although shredding repis on the gnar gnar rad is somewhat humorous. What is he doing now that GnR is toast?