Tim Barber Custom 6 string on the way!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fiebru1119, May 10, 2005.

1. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    and its a fretless this time. I've been hammering out the details and spec's on this bass with builder Tim Barber (www.barbermusic.com .. also a Talkbass member!) for the past few weeks and finally sent the deposit out today so we can get started. Heres some specs:

- 6 string (19mm spacing)
    - fretless macassar ebony fretboard (1/2 lined) with 20" board radius
    - nordstrand dual coils with exposed poles and matching wooden pup covers
    - myrtlewood top and flame maple back with black limba body core
    - birdseye maple neck with wenge core
    - bartolini NTMB-FL preamp- vol/blend/mid/bass/treble with coil taps and series/parallel wiring
    - black hipshot hardware and brass nut
    - gloss clear finish

Heres a pic of the top and back of the bass (myrtle on the right, flame maple on the left).

Just wanted to share with you guys! Wait time is about 4-6 months so we're hoping for late August-early September if all goes well.
  2. smperry

smperry Moderator Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2003
    Bay Area, CA
    Endorsing Artist: Martin Keith Guitars
    Wow...that sounds great - great woods, great components and judging by Tim Barber's previous work I'm sure it's all gonna come together beautifully.

Quick question - what do you mean by "half-lined"?

3. mark beem

mark beem Gold Supporting Member

Jul 20, 2001
    New Hope, Alabama
  4. teacherguy

Feb 21, 2004
    Cincinnati, OH
    Looks great! I'm a big fan of Tim's work!!
    Keep us up to date!!

Jon :oops:
  5. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
    Can't wait to see this one as it develops!
  6. Theshortlist_to

Apr 20, 2005
    that piece of myrtle on the right looks delish....

i cant believe i just used delish in a sentance in public.

should sound nice.

post pics to show us as it develops please :D
  7. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    smperry, this is what I'm talking about when I say 1/2 lined (I didnt know anyother way to describe it! lol)
    http://www.playthebass.com/DesktopBass/pics/ptb_KinalFretlsBlue_PC800.jpg Only other thing is that it's going to have dots on the treble side (similar to Fbasses).

oh, and the body shape of this bass is going to be the Arcadia (example pictured below - this bass belongs to talkbass's 5stringDNA)
  8. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Got an email from Tim today. The black limba body, wenge and birdseye neck are all in his possesion :) Only hold up so far is the acrylicized mac. ebony board which is on back order. Some pics of the wood!

black limba

wenge and maple

Sorry these are pretty boring pics but I'm excited! :cool:
  9. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Some progress being made on the bass..

10. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    quick update:

Neck black is clamped and glued, Nordstrand pickups are in the mail, and the fretboard is about a month away from availability.. :hyper:
  11. lyle

lyle Guest

Jan 10, 2004
    Vernon, B.C. Canada
    pretty pickups
  12. wyliee

Jul 6, 2003
    South Hill, WA
    I've been talking to Tim about a custom for some time now and had a chance to try out several of his basses earlier this year. I came away deeply impressed.

I predict we'll be seeing more of his work in the future. Awesome quality!
  13. j-raj

j-raj Bassist: Educator/Soloist/Performer Staff Member Supporting Member

Jan 14, 2003
    Atlanta, GA!
  14. Must be so exciting to see the bass from start to finish. The woods look amazing.

Congrats !! and I hope the wait isn't too long !!
  15. Worshiper

Aug 13, 2004
    New York
    wow man, congrats. I love Tim's work and I am thinking of ordering one myself as soon as a Get the money. Keep us posted.
  16. fiebru1119

Mar 2, 2004
    Orlando, FL
    Well, unfortunatelly, the original myrtle top did not work out. At first this presented some what of a problem since the pup covers were already done. Fortunatelly Larry at Gallery Hardwoods came through BIG TIME to get us a top that has not only a similar color to the pup covers but also a very close appearance to the original top. Pics below!

17. Thanks for this thread!! I might be putting an order in with him soon myself thanks to you! I'm also looking to get a fretless six that's sidelined, how odd. The bass is looking great so far man. I LOVE the look of the pickups. Hope the wait isn't too rough for ya :D
  18. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    how much you pay for this work?