Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tim Burton

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by BarnacleBassist, Jan 22, 2003.

1. Hey hey. A while ago I watched the second Batman movie with the Penguin, and I realised that Tim Burton makes some cool movies... they are very dark, and weird... I was wondering what everyone else thought of his works.

2. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Tim Burton is cool. The Nightmere Before Christmas is hilarious, strange, and pure genious! One of very few musicals I like.

3. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    Tim Burton is the man. "Nightmare Before Christmas" is one of my all-time favorite movies. The mood, the scenery, the characters... it's all perfect. Anybody who is amused by the macabre should see this movie.

The two Batman movies he directed were also fantastic. I have yet to see Edward Scissorhands, though, which I would like to.

4. 5stringDNA

5stringDNA

Oct 10, 2002
    Englewood, CO
    Edward Scissorhands was flat out, well, disturbing and strange. This from the perspective of a 12 year old though..(that's how old i was when i saw it). I think I would enjoy it more if I saw it now.

5. I'm one of his fans as well..
    I loved The nightmare before christmas..
    I've been doing some puppets under the inspiration of Adam Jones' and Tim Burton's stuff.

6. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    Tim Burton is brilliant. I've really enjoyed most of his movies, except for Mars Attacks and Planet of the Apes (which looked great but went nowhere). Pee-Wee's Big Adventure, Beetlejuice, Batman, Edward Scissorhands, and Nightmare Before Christmas are all excellent.

7. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    I too am a big fan of Burtons work. I heard a while ago that he was going to re-do Willy Wanka and the Chocolate Factory and Maralyn Manson was going to be Mr. Wanka. That would have a great potential of kicking ass. Id go see it.

8. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    I love Burton's work. His earlier stuff, like Edward Scissorhands, displays a curious lack of time reference. Burton can create an interesting, yet nearly non-descript, backdrop to his film stories. I also like his obsession with gadgets, especially in Sleepy Hollow. We've got most of his films at home.

Oh, and don't forget about Ed Wood!

9. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I'm a huge Tim Burton Fan. I've seen and enjoyed most of his movies (with the same exceptions that muggsy listed...) For those who haven't noticed, if there is a black and white striped or checkered set, you should look for his name. That is sort of his trademark.

One of my favorite things he has done is The Nightmare Before Christmas. Me and my girlfriend are practically obsessed with that movie!

10. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    I love his style. Although most of his movies scare the crap out of me (pee-wee's big adventure mostly).

11. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

It wouldn't go down well in England!! Maybe they ought to stick to Wonka like the original? ;)

12. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    I agree, although, I am not in England! :D

I think that the original wonka should be left alone... or at least not redone with Manson. THAT is a scary movie... hehehe...

no seriously... it is.

13. Mike A

Mike A Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2002
    Kentucky
    I'm a huge Tim Burton fan as well for many reasons... I'm also a firm believer that many (all?) of his films are held together by the music of Danny Elfman who is a genius in his own right.

14. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm also a big Tim Burton fan. I'm always looking forward to any new movie he is making.

I haven't been on his web site in a while but it used to be really cool.

15. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I'm not precious about the original - I was just referring to the mispelling of the name - which has unfortunate connotations - well it does here anyway!! ;)

16. SuperDuck

SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Wisconsin
    ah yes, this is very true. Danny Elfman is an incredible composer.

17. John Ruiz

John Ruiz

Oct 9, 2000
    Plano, Tx
    Oh, hahaha, that's funny... Well, still, I think the original should be left alone.

I also think that Danny Elfman is very good. I've liked him since I heard "The Simpsons" theme song!

18. Gweimer: Oh, and don't forget about Ed Wood!

I hadnt!!

:D

19. lemonadeisgood

lemonadeisgood

Aug 22, 2001
    Canada
    Didn't Danny Elfman do the theme song for the simpsons? I think I remember seeing his name somewhere in the credits.

20. Ívar Þórólfsson

Ívar Þórólfsson Mmmmmm... Supporting Member

Apr 9, 2001
    Kopavogur, Iceland
    Why yes he did!
    (At least according to www.imdb.com)