Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

tim commerford delay pedal

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Grind It Out, Aug 2, 2004.

1. timmy c himself even says he has a delay pedal in his lineup, but i for one have never heard him use it...does anyone kno anytracks where he does use it? im running out of inspiration for use of my delay pedal and need some fresh ideas

2. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Alot of people use a very close delay to thicken their sound.- easier to do with a digital delay.
    I suspect that anything Mr Commerford says about his pedal board is to be taken with a pinch of salt though. Personally I can think of few more overrated bassplayers.

Using a delay in track that you've already written will for the most part just muddy it up unless you've been very very accurate with the timing of the delay. It's easier to start a song from scratch using a delay than to add it in after.
    The good thing about using one is that it forces you to think about the importance of the spaces between your notes- but again it can stifle your "groove" as it the rythmical patterns you can use without muddying everything up can be limited.

3. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC

no shelter on the godzilla soundtrack is the only song i know of timmy c using a delay. thats with rage or audioslave.

4. Thee

Thee

Feb 11, 2004
    San Luis Obispo, CA
    I know, it sounds like a delay on the recording of no shelter, and I thought that for a long time. But live he plays without one.

So who knows? Other than that, I've never heard one either.

5. sloppysubs

sloppysubs

Nov 24, 2002
    Swansboro, NC
    woodstock 99 he used a delay. ive got it on tape and they get a good shot of him stopping before the chorus and the the rest of teh delay going before he kills the pedal.

6. where did you see him play without one live?

7. Why is it whenever I'm helping out at my mom's library, there is always a Tim C. effects question in my forum?

But, I have heard Tim use a delay, and I THINK (though take it with a grain of salt) that it is a Boss DD-2 delay.

8. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Well, just because he has it, doesn't mean he has to use it all the time.