Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tim Commerford or Ryan Martine?

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by kirbywrx, Sep 16, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    This question is aimed at all the rock.metal players around here.

Which kind of bass player do you want to me.

Tim of Audioslave- Fancy, yet holding the low end and putting depth into the mix

Ryan of Mudvayne- Playing away from the root and standing out from the mix

Ive been listening to alot of both bands and bassists latley, and i cant see which one does the better job?

How about you?

EDIT my bad, i meant Ryan Martinie.

2. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I like Tim C. His interaction with the drummer from RATM & AS make them one of the best rythum section in rock IMO. They groove their asses off.

3. buzzbass

buzzbass Shoo Shoo Retarded Flu !

Apr 23, 2003
    NJ
    I like Tim C. His interaction with the drummer from RATM & AS make them one of the best rythum section in rock IMO. They groove their asses off.

4. Deano Destructo

Deano Destructo Music Man/Upton addict. Hasn't slept since 1979. Supporting Member

Dec 10, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I love both of these guys. There both probably my favorite "metal" bassist out there. I gotta also go with Tim C. though. He writes interesting, fresh, funky lines that drive his songs well. I do prefer RATM to Audioslave though for the record.;)

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    I like Ryan Martinie better, although i think he is kinda a show off at some points. Tim is great at what he intends to do, no one does it better.

6. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Ryan is good, but I prefer Tim..

7. Lenko

Lenko

May 3, 2003
    Slovenia
    Ryan all the way...he's got a good technique and is inovative. I think that Tim has a good sound, but from what I've heard (and read) I think he's an a$$hole.

8. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I actually don't think Tim is really a great player. Think he has some solid lines, but I haven't heard anything that made me think he has much musical intelligence. Also, maybe his arrogance is clouding my judgement. What arrogance? You read the article in BP with him?

Ryan is a very interesting player on the other hand. Good lines, good technique and nice innovations.

But that is just me. I was waiting for RATM to do something besides their first album reincarnated. I think Cornell brought that in to Audioslave, not those guys.

9. brake

brake

Jun 23, 2003
    Nova Scotia, Canada
    I like both, but I'd rather listen to Tim (either in RATM or Audioslave) I enjoy Ryan's playing too, he's a ****ing monster

10. Timmy C.

His views on a bass player using tone to perfect a band w/ one guitar player is right on. OD for a bass player is a good thing. Always loved his tone.

11. tonedeaf

tonedeaf Supporting Member

I have varied on this my whole bass-playing career. Part of me has always wanted to play more melodic lines (Ryan), i.e. non-root, almost more like a lead instrument or even a vocalist.

Another part of me has always wanted to focus on rhythm and really anchor the song (Tim).

In the end, I find that the lines are blurred. Sometimes I play melody lines, sometimes very simple root-oriented lines where I try to be as rhythmically interesting as possible, and sometimes a little of both.

I hope this makes sense. I'm not sure whether or not "melodic" is the right word for what I'm trying to express.

In my mind, when I say "melodic" I'm thinking of a line that kind of sings along with the song (maybe harmony is what I'm thinking of), and when I say "rhythmic" I'm thinking of the kind of line where what I am playing isn't nearly as important was when I play it. In other words, it might be the same note or couple of notes over and over again. The first is more like a singer, and the second is more like a drummer.

:rolleyes: After reading, I'm not sure if this makes sense or not. Anyhow, most of the time the lines are very blurred between the two.

Come to think of it, that's what's so great about being a bass player. You get to play in everybody's turf! :D :bassist:

12. Halftooth

Halftooth Supporting Member

Nov 24, 2002
    Tri-Valley, NorCal
    Their styles are so differrent that it's hard to say who's better. They're both great at what they do, but I think when you consider all the variables, Ryan would slap, tap, and overall play circles around Timmy C. I think Ryan's a much better player techniclly, but Tim defintley get's it done in a very simple, yet tastefull way.

13. kirbywrx

kirbywrx formerly James Hetfield

Jul 27, 2000
    Melbourne, Australia.
    I get you. Im in the same boat, not too sure to stay solid and play the root, or go off and play off the root and "show off"

I did read the article in bass player, and thats kinda what got me going about this. Tim is solid, and interesting. Ryan is also solid, but not as much, but he is in a way much more complex and interesting.

Ahh, i dunno. Tim for his tone, and Ryan for his speed and dexterity.

Why cant they mate and produce the perfect bassist damnit! :(

14. Airsick Pilot

Airsick Pilot Cleopatra

Jul 29, 2002
    Cockpit(throwing up)
    I don't agree with alot of his views and for what its worth, I don't quite get why he's so secretive about his tone. I like his tone but I don't think its that special. I do however like the fact that he speaks his mind and his flamboyant personality.

On topic, I'd prefer Tim. Sure Ryan can slap, tap and make a grown man wet his pants but Tim is a solid player(not saying that Ryan isn't) and his musical relationship with Brad Wilk, as already stated, is probably one of the best in rock music today. I prefer Tim's style over Ryan's. Don't judge his playing entirely on the stuff he does in the records though. He might be a badass player in terms of playing all the flashy stuff..you never know. Maybe he doesn't show it, and bear in mind that he also slapped in alot of the Rage records back in the day so to assume that Ryan Martinie would run circles around Tim is wrong.

15. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Tim C. for recording an entire album with just e minor pentatonics - made teaching it a lot simpler :D

16. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    I based what I have said on 4 albums of listening to the guy, only to find essentially the same type lines on all of them. As for a team of Brad and Tim, I can name tons of other rhythm sections in rock I'd much rather hire.

Also, I think most people are saying they are choosing Tim for his tone, which I find kind of weird. Plenty of people out there have great tone. And for Tim to be so secretive of whatever he does, does he not realize he too had to be educated once? So he has no desire to help newocomers? Class act.

So why would you prefer Tim? There are times on Mudvaynes album where I think Ryan is holding solid lines to be supportive. And I also think he chooses a tone that doesn't bring him out as the 'flash point' of most of the music.

Basically, I am saying if you are choosing Tim based on tone alone, I don't get it. If you think that he has solid lines and Ryan is too all over the place, I can understand and agree with that. Other than that, having heard TONS of RATM and having dissected the audioslave album, I am not too sure how Tim is described as 'fancy'.

17. Stu L.

Stu L. Supporting Member

Nov 27, 2001
    Corsicana, Texas
    I agree with Tuffy here. After reading the BP article, and listening back to Rage and Audioslave stuff, the songs never drop when the guitar does it's thing. It amazes me how he carries so much weight of the song, and still makes it his own.

18. Ryan, amazing player, and seems to be a good guy. Tim, good player, but seems to be an ass.

My vote goes for Ryan.

19. Josh Ryan

Josh Ryan - that dog won't hunt, Monsignor. Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 24, 2001
    Two of my favorites. Both are unique, but I have to give Ryan the edge for sklll, composition and attitude. Tim C is no slouch though.

20. miccheck1516

miccheck1516 Guest

Feb 15, 2003
    Ireland
    But the albums are not a good thing to go by, for example during the killing in the name and know your emeny solo's tom played 'rhythm ' guitar. I.e. he recorded both the solo and what a rhythm guitarist would play. However i do have to admit that during live shows tim can be heard very well, but then, tom only has an old 50W amp......

Edit: Typo

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.