Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Tim Commerford (R.A.T.M.)

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by morty25, Sep 1, 2002.

1. Hey, was tim a good bassist, ive heard some of RATM's stuff and the bass sounds very good. what basses, amps and effects does he use???

[​IMG]

the pic is from the VMA mtv awards in 1999 when he climbed up the stage set thing while Limp Bizkit were getting there award and the cops couldnt get him down!!!! :D he was arrested after that!!!

2. He uses Fender Jazz basses and Amepg 8x10's.

3. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    He is a great bass player, he has some badass groovage and also has the funk. I'll be honest that I did not care for RATM until I learned how to play a couple of the songs (killing in the Name of, Bulls on Parade). Now I actually listen to them and am amazed I did not notice before. I recomend the first album.

4. old_skool

old_skool

Aug 17, 2000
    Milwaukee, WI
    There was just a thread on him a bit ago. Try a search.

BTW, I love Tim Bob.

5. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    RATM is recording a new album with CHRIS CORNELL (Soundgarden) on vocals, the new stuff is suposed to be really cool...... can´t wait to hear it

6. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    im a freaking huge rage fan. Timmy C is an amazing bassist. One of the best playing in the pocket bassits. He knows his place and really flows well with morello's experimental riffs. BTW he didnt get arrested for jumping up there, he got arrested cuz when they got him down him and his body guard beat the poo out of a few cops.

7. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    :Beavis Voice ON:

Yeahh..... eh eh Rock...eh eh Rock!!!!!

:Beavis Voice OFF:

:cool: ;)

8. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    you sure about that? last I heard Cornell said F*** that and quit. that was old news around a month ago. although I did hear of some underground bootleg of the studio sessions;)

9. CaracasBass

CaracasBass

Jun 16, 2001
    Madrid, Spain
    I heard that too, and like 3 weeks later Tom Morello said in an interview that Chris was part of the band and those where just rumours, and that he was very upset because some guy of the recording studio put those demos on internet.....

10. My biggest influence, without a doubt. I play like a demon crossbreed of him, Rex Brown and Shavo Odadjian. But less shreddability than Rex.

He also used Stingrays on the albums and live. He's got THE Ray tone, IMO.

Also used octave and distortion on some songs. I own both these pedals.

P.S. Cornell rejoined Citizen, and the disc will be out soon. Should be good.

11. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    I know this is of no importance.... but he and the former lead singer went to my high school... :) I did not know Tim but I did know Mr. De la Rocha.

12. Nice.....I always thought De la Rocha seemed like a really cool guy. Was he?

On topic, Tim C is definitely a great player, his playing actually inspired me to take up the bass in the first place. If I could groove like he does in a rock band, I'd be extremely happy.

Does anyone know when the Civilian disc is getting out? I'm very keen to hear it.

13. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Thats the name of the new band with Cornell right?

14. Argh, I KNEW it wasn't Citizen! Civilian, it is, aye.

15. Are you sure? I just re-read your post and thought "Oh crap, its not Civilian, it's Citizen", and just as I went to post and correct my mistake, you posted to correct yours :D.

16. Just looked it up on mxtabs.net, it is Civilian.

*Twilight zone music plays*

17. lakerkobe

lakerkobe

Jun 17, 2002
    Portland, OR
    Actually when I knew him he was. I actually was not real close with him, but we hung out a few times. Some of the early interviews I have read where he claimed he was the only hispanic in an all white high school are way off base... but he's a nice guy.

18. Fliptrique

Fliptrique

Jul 22, 2002
    Szczecin, Poland
    Endorsing Artist: Mayones Guitars&Basses, Taurus Amplification
    I love Tim`s basslines.
    He has that deep, heavy groove. Sorta like Faith No More`s bassist.

19. fadlan bassman

fadlan bassman

Oct 23, 2001
    Austin,Tx
    Hey i talked to a radio dj today from krox 101.x in austin and he said that cornell and rage did split but that he came back after they worked it out.

20. Onesidezero

Onesidezero

Mar 13, 2002
    He used an all natural stingray 4 with a clear pickguard and maple board run through 4 SWR 4x10s on the self-titled. That slap tone on "Take the Power back" is KILLER