1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TIM COMMERFORD.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TeenZombie01, Jul 29, 2006.

1. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    Are they not going to sticky this? I thought it was pretty useful information but then again not everyone loves Timmy C. as much as me.

2. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Great info....they need to sticky this!

3. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    A lot of work there and a good read.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Sticky? Nope. Linked in the FAQ? Yes.

5. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    Works for me.

6. I have a word of advice for Timmy C fans...go backward, and find out more about his influences...if you haven't already.

I did this recently with one of my fave players, and found some interesting discoveries...

7. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    His main influences are Geddy Lee and Byron Totty, or so I have read. He idolized Geddy growing up and Byron Totty's influence comes through in Timmy's tone.

8. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
  9. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    I already posted the exact link to the exact article on Audioslaved.

10. Higgie

Higgie

May 31, 2005
    London, England
    Oh, sorry. I must have missed it, all I saw was it saying it was from an Audioslave fan forum, and so went ahead and posted the link. I contributed to the article when it was being made. It's good you brought it up over here though, cheers.

11. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    It's cool man, no worries.

12. chrisp2u

chrisp2u

Aug 15, 2005
    Buffalo, NY

One word for you TeenZombie01... STALKER :bag:

J/K... I enjoy Tim C's work... def one of the more creative players in modern rock. Always dug his tone as well.

Couple contradicting statements from his interviews though...

"My tone comes from my amp and the pickups in my bass. So many people say it's all about the wood. It's ain't about the wood; it's about the pickups, the amp, and how hard you play."

"I play a super heavy bass too; I tried a light bass but I truly believe that a heavier bass has a slightly thicker tone."

Oh well, nobody's perfect.
    ---
    c

13. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    I really do think he messes with people in interviews and stuff about his bass tone and stuff. If you worked really hard and found this amazing tone that just truly kicked ass, would you tell people how you got it?

I doubt it.

14. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Not that I ever found his tone amazing, but if someone took the time to be interested in my gear, I would tell them everything they wanted to know.

Not spread a bunch of mumbo about hand rewound pickups, ancient tubes, and rewired amps. Having a distortion with a clean blend will get you halfway to his tone. I can't imagine how many simpleminded fans have ruined their pickups/amps/effects because of him.

15. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    Haha, youre right but actually winding your pickups yourself if you know what you are doing can really help. The only thing he really does to his amps is change tubes and wires for the exact same parts just better built. But messing with effects can be very tricky, that is one thing I have not learned how to do that I want to know how to do.

16. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    Hells yes!!!!! I'd just be happy if someone wanted to emulate my tone :D

17. Umm...TeenZombie...That is my article. I am Inslaved over on the Audioslaved boards... I put hours of work into it and I would appreciate it if you asked me before copying the whole article onto another board.....:rolleyes:

18. uly_

uly_

Jul 4, 2005
    Denmark
    I'm still trying dammit!!

j/k :smug:

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Sep 26, 2005
    Pasadena, CA

Pearl_jammin - At a minimum, it should be credited as your work.

TeenZombie - Busted! :bag:

20. Kubs

Kubs

Jul 26, 2006
    Prague
    you got him...i like TIMMY but his opinion that sound is not in wood I MUST LAUGH...if everybody keep his opinion then we play on cheap STAGG-like basses with bartoliniĀ“s pick and would be happy...
    And another quote the main part of sound lays in HANDS...not in bass effect or amp