1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TIM COMMERFORD.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TeenZombie01, Jul 29, 2006.

1. FunkyFrosty

FunkyFrosty

May 28, 2006
    Ontario
    +1 He should stuck with the football IMHO.

Such secretive musicians really urk me, he should be grateful that so many bass players aspire to his tone/tecnique and embrace that.

Also IMO if you compare his attitude to that of his friend Juan Alderete - Juan is very open and talkative about his whole setup in interviews - he doesn't inspire me at all.

2. I think it is good that he keeps it secret, so that he does not have 10,000 copycats

3. Ahh, but he does have 10,000 copycats.
    :ninja:

4. Dash Rantic

Dash Rantic

Nov 12, 2005
    Palo Alto, CA
    And none of them have it right :)

-Dash

5. I think its a bit of a shame when a musician keeps their setup a secret aswell. I would take it as a compliment if everyone wanted to know how I had my rig setup.
    Nice Tats though :)

6. TeenZombie01

TeenZombie01

May 14, 2006
    It would be flattering and I would like it but I more than likely tell them to experiment and get a setup that works best for them instead of just copying mine. If everyone kept using the same bass setups and stuff then bass playing would not evolve.

7. lamarjones

lamarjones Supporting Member

Aug 27, 2002
    Raleigh, NC
    meh, maybe someone cares, maybe not.

I was HYPED when I saw that strap, so after some back and forth, my dreams have been shattered.

"
    Hi Leonard,

We are not able to make this strap for you as we are not set up to do custom work. We will sometimes make a strap designed by an artist if we feel that the design can be mass produced and will thus become part of our product line. I do not recall the development for this strap, but I can see by the photograph why we did not go into production. While Tim may be pleased with his straps, I would not approve it for Levy's as the detailing and workmanship would need to be refined. Also, given the width of the strap we would have to design special displays that would only be used for that model. And lastly the strap when done to my specifications would retail in the $150.00 to $200.00 range. Too high, in my estimation, to have mass appeal.

R&D to make a strap like this runs into thousands of dollar, because we are not craftsmen in the "custom" sense. We design on computers and go from these drawings to cutting dies. The dies to make that strap would be at least $1000.00. To recoup my costs, I need to sell a thousand of these per year.

When enough artists request certain features in a strap we keep track of the requests and try to develop straps that will fill that need. Increasingly we have had requests for wider straps as bass guitars become larger and heavier. Last year we introduced the 4 inch wide MSS2-4 to fill that need and in 2007 we will be introducing yet another bass strap that is wider still at the critical point where the strap goes over the shoulder.

Best regards,
    Harvey Levy
    "

But I guess I suspected as much. NO SOUP FOR YOU!!!!!!

8. Wow Teen Zombie01. That was an amazing array of (Im sure) secretive info. I really enjoyed hearing about his attitude when it comes to HIS sound and HIS equipment. He's the man.

9. Razor

Razor

Sep 22, 2002
    Dallas
    Try a Moody brand strap. I hear that they used to do some custom work. I've got a 4" strap that feels awesome.

10. And just because it hasn't been stated anywhere on here so far, Tim uses Ernie Ball Standard Slinky 45s:D

Tim's actually had a really large effect on my tone. First, because of him, I realized for the tone I want, I want that punchy feel of 10s in my cabs. Ampeg was always my trusted amp company, but Tim only reassured me of that. Jazzes were already my GAS (just got mine a little more than a week ago) but Time, again, just reassured me that they are sweet. Then in effects, he's influenced how I'm going to go about using effects. Lastly, because of him, I started messing with things on my own to alter the sounds that come from my bass, and eventually my amp (just gotta get a TUBE ampeg, instead of this SS combo I've got...).

11. This is exactly why musicians get paid sponsorships.

12. Che

Che

Jan 13, 2007
    Canada
    this is a great thread, thanks for posting it!

13. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    That's what Jamerson did too!

14. Montius

Montius

Dec 26, 2006
    Oakland, CA
    http://www.tooltabs.net/forum_two/viewtopic.php?t=1118

That may fulfill you, it's a pretty big/encompassing discussion of his gear.

15. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    the two dunlop wah thing it ridiculous... it makes me want to try it lol

16. then you should...cuz i did and its SO much fun...my bandmates always had to yell at me to not play everything thru the distorted wahs...some things can be clean...or just distorted...but the thick double wah sound is sooo coooooool...the biggest pain was lugging around 3 amps for that setup...maybe thats how tim got all his muscles...

17. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    i dont get why you need three amps for it, i thought he just ran through one wah then the other

18. it wouldnt really sound good at all running the wahs in series, he ran it all in parallel to keep a clean bottom end and to be able to fine tune his mid and treble distortion, so, he used 3 amps: one for clean signal (always on) and 2 distortion amps...each of those amps had a distortion pedal and a wah before it...one for more mids, and one focused more on the treble...i had a splitter box made for like $80 to do what his does in order to turn the distortion amps on and off and focused one distortion with a gritty low mid sound and tuned the Q on the 105Q to match...i tuned to other distortion to more of a nasty searing buzz saw sound and tuned the Q on the 105Q to match that as well...when running all 3 amps and using both wahs (velcro and plank of wood over the top of them...george l's custom cable so i could put them next to eachother) it sounded really thick and awesome...much more so than just using a fuzz and a wah in 1 amp, and definitely thicker than even a 2 amp setup...if uve got some long spare cable, a couple distortions, 2 wahs, 3 amps, a piece of wood and the means to split the signal into 3 paths, i would give it a shot and see how u like it

19. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sounds easy enough! I just happen to have all of that lying around, too! Maybe I should try it out! :hyper: