1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TIM COMMERFORD.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TeenZombie01, Jul 29, 2006.

1. haha yeah, i kno its a LOT of stuff to have just lying around...i only have it because i wanted to give that type of setup a shot...i doubt many people have 2 wahs and 3 amps "just because" but u never know

2. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Haha I guess you're right. I bet it has a really unique sound. I'd definitely try it if I were made of money.

Live to dream, man. ;-D

3. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    i get it i guess, but I'm not convinced two wahs in series would sound bad... after all people run multiple envelope filters/autowahs through each other

like Flea on the song falling into grace, i was reading a description and he said he was using the bassballs, MXR autowah, and the Boss envelope filter. his tone on that song is sweet

but I was listening to audioslave today and I absolutely love tim's distortion tone on drown me slowly (especially in the solo section, that is an awesome driving bassline)... the best words i have to describe it? utter destruction...

4. why? It'll be more of the same thing, I like his old Jazzes, no disrespect to Roger.

5. Hey man,
    Nice work. Nice to see the options we have for our bass sound. We gotta pick and choose as we like. Signal heat seems basic. I've got a really hot G&L and a really mellow P/J. Finding the balance...effects on two loops..hmm... Thanks again,

Jeremy

6. Fli

Fli

Apr 30, 2007
    Birmingham, AL
    I used to love RATM and always loved Timmy C's playing, but I don't any longer.

7. well, went to see RATM at Voodoo fest here in New Orleans, they still got it. That band is great live, and the improvs are awesome

8. Sir Edward V

Sir Edward V Not Actually Knighted... Yet!

Dec 11, 2006
    Massachusetts
    glad to see they are still touring, I need to see them ASAP

9. Christian Waiau

Christian Waiau

Jun 16, 2005
    las vegas/maui, nevada/hawaii
    Endorsing Artist: Spector, Aguilar, Darkglass
    theyre playing here in vegas tonite... they seem to be only doing festival events so far...this will be the second time i miss(ed) them play this year....:scowl:

10. xJasonSmithx

xJasonSmithx

Jun 25, 2003
    Denver, CO
    The set at Voodoo was really great. There was a few times were it seemed like they had trouble hearing each other but overall it was great. As always Tim's tone was incredible.

-Jason

11. Right *puts up flame shield* couldnt find this specific question.

What would help me sound more like Tim, an M-80 or samsamp BDDI? I can get either for about the same price, so i only want to know what will get me closer to his tone.
    Im using an Ibanez ATK405 through an ashdown mag300 with 2x10, AKG pro wireless and presonus comp.

12. rsrhcp

rsrhcp

Feb 23, 2007
    Cincinnati
    props to you my man! Good work! Very helpful and interesting.

13. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Most likely the Sansamp will get you closer since he uses Ampeg tube amps.

14. Cheers Vic, thats all i wanted to know :) I thought that myself because i read on here somewhere how the sansamp is a tube emulator and DI, whereas the M80 is a distortion and D, but i needed to be sure before i dropped the cash.

15. gafbass02

gafbass02

Nov 9, 2005
    cheltenham uk
    For my two pennorth i totally recommend the hartke vxl bass attack DI over the sansamp for a valvey drive. Imho it blows it away and is much more ratm sounding when i use mine (ive owned both) with my jazz basses.
    Well worth tying one 1st as i bought my sansamp off the strength of the hype (talkbass gas too) and ended up selling quick sharp for the hartke.
    As a PS 'paerl jammin' who made the original post on the audioslave site is a seriously funky player well worth checking out if you are in his neck of the woods. (And a top bloke too!)

16. Wayne 3-13

Wayne 3-13

Apr 28, 2008
    Wales, UK
    does anyone know what effects Timmy C used on 'Calm like a bomb?

17. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ^ OMG

Search is your friend, tho IIRC its an original Guv'nor effect by marshall.

18. BassMonstrum

BassMonstrum

Mar 7, 2008
    I see that he's using a Boss DD-3, but I can't really hear it on any of the recordings he's done... anyone?

19. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Calm Like a Bomb - Fuzz (most likely an MXR JH-2), Wah (105Q) and a clean signal to keep the bottom.

DD-3 is used with an octave pedal (OC-2 or OC-3) on No Shelter.

20. tim also has a custom shop fender he had built that is setup to be tuned BEAD its a jazz and he uses it for recording as his go to bass. and the pickups were not wound by him he sent them to a guy in penn. as with all his pickups. at least thats what he told me.