1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TIM COMMERFORD.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by TeenZombie01, Jul 29, 2006.

1. Wayne 3-13

Wayne 3-13

Apr 28, 2008
    Wales, UK
    Did Timmy C used the original Marshall Guv'nor? (The black one)

2. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    YES!!! :mad:

3. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    So I was listening to Marcus today. And the OD on 'Cause I Wan't You kinda reminds me of the tone in Bulls on Parade. But Evil Empire was 1 clean amp and 1 Guv'nor'd amp, right?

4. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    [​IMG]

Edit: I'm not laughing at his answer, but the question and the thread overall.

5. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    What? The gold one wasn't around in '92.

6. bongomania

bongomania Gold Supporting Member Commercial User

Oct 17, 2005
    PDX, OR
    owner, OVNIFX and OVNILabs
    Sorry, I wasn't clear what was funny to me. Your answer was correct I'm sure. I just find Tim C gear questions amusing.

7. Hookus

Hookus

Oct 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    I find most (artist name) gear threads amusing. I don't know why people obsess with others' tone when you can go out and find your own.:rollno:

8. Nyarlathotep

Nyarlathotep Banned

Feb 5, 2006
    West Coast of Canada
    ^ Cus a lot of times people hear (artist name)'s tone and go "oooo! I want that". To me, the (artist name) gear threads are the single equivilant of the "which multi" threads.

Like multieffects, putting together a board even remotly simmilar to the artist in question is, at best, a good start at entering the world of FX. It's a basis for future board expantions, especially if the board question is something like "wut distortion does X use", and not just "ZOMGIWANTTOSOUNDLIKETIMMYC".

Just my 2 cents :D

9. Wayne 3-13

Wayne 3-13

Apr 28, 2008
    Wales, UK
    Well said Dan mate:bassist:

10. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Thats wierd. I just stumbled upon this :S Who clicked the I like it button? Hmm? Own up...

11. SpankyPants

SpankyPants That's Mr. SpankyPants to you.

Aug 24, 2006
    Brooklyn, NY
    Sorry, I didn't realize it was a button. Was just gettin' my jollies off.

12. Spikeh

Spikeh Sex Strings

Nice post! A little too obsessive for my tastes (and I love Timmy C :p), but stil, very informative! :p

13. The_D

The_D Well, thats like your opinion. Man...

Mar 20, 2004
    Fife, Scotland
    Hehe. No need to apologise, I just thought it was wierd. Stumbling through and finding a thread here that I have read before :)

14. nad

nad 60 Cycle Humdinger Commercial User

Sep 22, 2005
    Not Mars
    The Overlord of Nordstrand Pickups
    Agreed, and I love Tim.com and Justin Chancellor. They have both been pretty big influences on me for well over a decade now, but I have never once purposely sought to cop their tone. I didn't even want a Wal bass until I started listening to Failure. :ninja:

15. Probably already been said but it would appear tim is playing Laklands now.

16. boglej2

boglej2

Dec 3, 2007
    Dublin, Ireland
    nebody know what mics timmy c uses live in front of his cabs??

17. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches

Aug 21, 2006
    Denver, CO
    Well, if someone plays in a covers or tribute band and wants to nail down the sound as well as possible then I see the value in having the gear as close to the artist in question.

And while not all that original, I can see value in someone building a mockup of a famous player's board and then using it as a jump off point to do their own thing. We've seen a number of Justin Chancellor style boards that evolved in this way.

For that matter, I've occasionally heard a bass tone that sounded very close to what I was hearing in my head as a tone I wanted. Stu Brook's distortion on the new Dub Trio album is an example for me. I know I can't cop that tone exactly with a different bass/rig and especially technique, but knowing what he used would give me a clue as to what I could use to get something similar.

18. OptimusPrime

OptimusPrime

Mar 30, 2008
    Florida
    Exactly. +1

The reason I have a flanger, Justin Chancellor/46&2. The reason I have a phaser, Fu Manchu. The reason I ordered a Bluebeard, Troy Sanders. My board doesn't resemble anyones. But I've used what I've learned from other bass players to make a board that is exactly what I need, nothing extra, nothing missing.

19. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Found an old BP mag from August 2003 with Timmy C on the cover in my closet.

Some info on what he toured with after the first CD.

-Started using Mesa M-Pulse 600 for his clean tone for better low B response.
    -Used a hot-rodded Ashdown ABM 500RC EVO for "distorted sound".
    -Signal goes through a Boss Delay before being split 3 ways.
    -Nothing post-switcher in the clean signal.
    -Middle of the road OD is from a "Jim Dunlop Jimi Hendrix distortion pedal". In the picture it looks too dark to be a JH-2S Classic Fuzz, but it has the same size, shape and layout which leads me to believe it's a JH-3S Octave Fuzz.
    -Heavy OD is his custom box.
    -Also in the picture is a Sadowsky Pre-Amp/DI pedal.
    -Uses the old Telefunk preamp tubes for mid-range clarity and low mids.