Tim Commerfords gear

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by MCT, Apr 27, 2005.

1. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    I know he plays a Jazz bass, with a p-bass neck. (Would be my preference as well) but as far as everything else I'm not too sure of.
  2. You'll never be too sure of it.
  3. The 0x

The 0x

Aug 24, 2003
    Timonium, MD
    Shouldn't this be moved to Bassists?
  4. Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    Here's a wierd guy, and we'll probably never know.
  5. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yep. Good call. Done.
  6. beam

Dec 29, 2002
    On the Audioslave album, he had a bunch of SVT2-PRO's, but now he uses Ashdown EVO II's(hotrodded to be run full on, all the time) for his overdrive.

He has at least one distortion pedal that he made himself, but his pedalboard is chaos. He has fake pedals on there that don't do anything, just to throw people off who want to try and copy his tone.
    He has 3 rigs sitting behind him, 1 for clean, 1 for mild overdrive, and 1 for full on distortion. He always has the clean stack on(an SVT sitting on an 8x10 I believe), and he kicks in either of the other amp stacks when he wants distortion.

He has wound his own pickups, and reqired his own amps. He seems VERY serious about not being easily copied, and I think he has been successful.

I've always like his tone, especially in his J-bass era.
  7. DanGouge

May 25, 2000
    He has a tremolo arm on at least one of his basses. I seem to recall that his pickups are somewhat custom. Otherwise, I think he tends to be secretive about his rig. Do a search though.
  8. MCT

Apr 11, 2005
    That's amazing. I guess I can scratch the trying to copy him. I'll just see how close I can get.
  9. Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    Yeah, it's pretty much impossible to get his tone. He and his tech modify everything he gets. The only way to get his tone is steal his stuff. I wouldn't recommend that. He's a scary guy, and he's got muscles. Big ones.
  10. basscentric

Feb 22, 2005
    He was on the cover of BP magazine a little while ago. I don't remember the specifics of his gear. But, I do remember him saying that he and his tech do physically alter his equipment ...take things apart etc and that he won't tell anyone what he's done bc he doesn't want anyone copying his sound.
  11. WildBill

Jul 7, 2002
    That decoy pedal idea is good.
    I gotta use that sometime.
  12. He has two Wah-Pedals (one to each distortion-amp) and put a piece of wood on top of them, so he can activate them at the same time.
  13. James Hart

James Hart

Feb 1, 2002
    Endorsing Artist: see profile
    nope, it's about gear, not the player... Misc???
  14. actually this thread should be copied and moved to bassguitars, amps, effects, setup and pickups at the same time.

Maybe strings too, but i'm not too sure of that :D
  15. I-Love-Ratm

Feb 24, 2003
    There was a thread here not so long ago.Search button people!

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I have heard he is highly secretive about his gear.