Tim Commerford's Setup

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stickk, Nov 3, 2008.

1. The double-neck jazz has got to be rediculously heavy...

2. look what Mike Dirnt says about Timmy's pickups:

GC: What is the coolest recent addition to your set up to your rig, bass or amp?

Mike: I just had Fender custom make me a bass, I wanted that '51 reissue Telecaster-looking bass. But when I got it, they sent me a regular P-Bass that was all hot-rodded out instead. I called Fender and said, "This bass is amazing, you're not getting it back", but what I ordered was the Tele-looking P-Bass. I was as excited as a kid in a candy store! You know it was like my first bass. When I opened it up, it was just this black-on-black incredible bass. I was like, "Oh my god!" I wouldn't even plug it in until we had band practice because all the amps at my house were kind of substandard. Fender had a P-Bass pickup in there that he made for the guy from Rage Against the Machine, Tim Commerford. And I don't know if he ordered it like that or not, but it's a f---ing bad-ass pickup! I was like, "Holy s--t! Whoa." I had to lower the pickup a little bit because the volume was twice that of the other bass I was playing.

3. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    This is interesting:
    During the 90s, I always had my tone with my former band at that time. Then I listened to RATM and I really think our bass sounds were VERY close!
    At the time I was using my '83 Stingray and mostly a GK800RB amp (sometimes I would use a SWR).
    Here is a video sample from 1994 (press the "high quality" button under it, much better sound quality):
    What do you guys think? Wasn't it similar to RATM first album tone? Keep in mind that the sound is from the old VHS camera mic!!!

4. That video doesn't do much justice. The pop sounds a lot like the pops on Take the Power Back and on Know Your Enemy, but it's hard telling.

5. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Sorry, we didn't have better technology at that time. :)

Listen to the song #3 here, The bass was recorded in 2 channels, one straight to the board and one thru a sansamp: http://www.myspace.com/brunocoelhobass

(oh I love that slap sound!) :)

6. It's a little like it. I can run my ATK and get a sound pretty close though, as well.

7. Coelho

Coelho

May 10, 2006
    Astoria, NY
    Did you listen to the end of the song, around 3:30? Gets pretty wild. :)

8. BAW

BAW

Aug 1, 2008
    Long Island
    i can hear a bit of wah in it.

9. You're a very talented slap bassist. I'm trying to educate myself in that style to no avail. Any pointers you care to give?

10. shaboda

shaboda Supporting Member

Apr 14, 2002
    I am surprised to see him playing Laklands. I thought he was strictly a fender guy.

11. I'd heard he had owned a StingRay, and I saw him use to play Bulls On Parade on SNL, but I never realized that's all he used on Take The Power Back. I always wondered how he got that tone out of a passive J-bass, with no real EQ-ing. Haha.

EDIT::; Just something with Timmy that makes him unexpected, I guess.

12. E-Mac

E-Mac Guest

Aug 30, 2008
    His Natural JO has birdseye maple Blocks.

13. MarkusBass

MarkusBass

Feb 24, 2008
    California Coast
    Graphic Designer: Lakland
    And it's an Ebony board.

14. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    theres an urban myth that either bullet in the head (which is a demo recording that ended up on the album) or the entire album itself is his stingray straight into the board. can anyone confirm this?

15. I doubt it. It'd sound much cleaner than it does, wouldn't it?

I read in an interview once that in his Audioslave days (Because of his three amp rig) he'd take 6 mixing board channels or more. 3 from mics from the cabs, and 3 D.I....

It's possible he might have mic'ed his cabinets and D.I.'ed from the amps. But I doubt he did it all his StingRay straight into the board.

16. Toastfuzz

Toastfuzz

Jul 20, 2007
    Pittsburgh, PA
    I can straight deny that the whole album is directly bass into board. But I just listened to Bullet in the Head after reading your post, its the same tone the whole way through, sounds legit enough. So by my auditory judgement, I will concur that song's all clean Stingray bass.

17. It's always sounded distorted near the end to me...but eh.

That's just me though.

18. Know your enemy has distortion at the end so no... its not directly into the board.

19. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    what i meant by straight in, is that no amps were used. i know he used effects, you can obviously hear them.

20. Pure_Intension

Pure_Intension

Dec 8, 2008
    Wow, great post. I have two Laklands myself, one of them being the same exact Joe Osborn model with the tortoise shell pick-guard posted in here. He is my favorite bass player and the reason I started playing bass yet I had no idea he played Laklands. Thanks for the info.

- Cole.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021