Tim Commerford's Setup

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stickk, Nov 3, 2008.

1. You can see it inside the Revelations album by Audioslave.

2. dereklol23

dereklol23

Jul 28, 2008
    if you feel like adding a little miscellaneous fact about his strap it's because he injured his shoulder mountain biking and needed more support

nice thread

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    great thread!!! :)

4. bassplayer4893

bassplayer4893

Dec 6, 2007
    do u ever realize in like bombtrack the chorus is different, it kind of sounds like the marshall dist, do u no if it is dist? cuz i got a marshall gov'nor and idk wat settings it is, its in the beginning of killing in the name, the bending part in township rebellion and do u no the settings of the distortion pedal for song like settle for nothing, know your enemy, wake up, and freedom?

5. Which Guv'nor did you get? The new one or the old one?

The Choruses to Bombtrack ARE distorted, yes.

6. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Because we don't discuss Commerford enough...

What's up with the "custom" thumb rest? Is it homemade, off another bass....anyone know? I find myself playing between the pickups on my Jazz lately and something like this would come in handy.

7. gibsualdo

gibsualdo

Jun 19, 2006
    London, England
    Does anyone know if he used his delay or octaver on any Rage stuff? I've not listened particularly carefully, but I can't say that I've noticed either before. Or were they primarily for Audioslave? I'm not really into the latter, so I've no clue.

8. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    He uses the delay on No Shelter and Ashes in the Fall. He uses the octave on Down Rodeo.

9. Bassmingo

Bassmingo

Nov 6, 2008
    Ireland
    isnt there octave on no shelter also?

10. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    Yep. Also on I'm Housin (choruses).

You can make a thumbrest like that his with a small wooden or plastic dowel. I made one from a plastic hanger and 2 screws.

sx.gif

11. Harper

Harper

Nov 10, 2001
    Vic,

Can I get a close up of that?

12. mlove

mlove

Jun 12, 2005
    Fredericton
    I remember Bass Guitar Magazine running a pretty cool article during Audio Slave (around the release date of "out of exile") where he talked about his amp set up.

I like every project I've heard of Tim's and the 2 neck bass looks cool but I'd rather just play a 5 string.

13. IanAllison

IanAllison

May 27, 2006
    Minneapolis
    Hey dudes,

I play in a rock band called Down and Above in Minneapolis. We got a chance to open for Audioslave a few years back and I got to see Tim's basses up close.

What blew me away was his action. It was INCREDIBLY high. Like you could put your whole hand between the fingerboard and strings. It really surprised me.

For me, particular players' tones always comes back to hands and how they attack the strings. Tim hits HARD - akin to Geddy Lee's attack. I think that this style brings more top end out of his basses and in turn, the distortion magnifies this giving him that snarly, wicked sound.

IMHO it's THIS that is the important thing to keep in mind about Tim. More important than say, his secretive distortion boxes and handmade thumbrests.

Ian

Scijad likes this.
  14. Vic Winters

Vic Winters Supporting Member

Apr 20, 2006
    Western NY
    If you have Firefox, CTRL+ will blow it up for you.

15. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    Just do what I did, make a thumbrest out of ebony.
    3230642302_66172606c8_b.jpg
    You can see more pictures of the bass here.

16. KikoD

KikoD

Apr 24, 2008
    Twin Cities
    If you check out the Jaco video he talks about putting a P-bass neck on his main bass (jazz converted to fretless) to make playing on a jazz neck easier. He said the fretted P-bass neck was harder for him to play so he would just use it to make practicing harder for him.

17. chanson

chanson Supporting Member

Verrrry nice tone, dude. What were you doign with your EQ those days? (both on the bass and the GK?)

18. Stickk

Stickk

Sep 2, 2008
    Jambi
    + ∞ for Opeth.

19. jimmyjames77

jimmyjames77 Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2005
    Just West of Chicago
    Just curious, what 10" speakers does he use? Specifically, not just eminence or EV.

20. KaizerWilhelm

KaizerWilhelm

Mar 11, 2009
    Seattle, WA
    Im pretty sure he uses the stock speakers in the SVT-810AV that he uses now.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021