Tim Commerford's Setup

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by Stickk, Nov 3, 2008.

1. Flipper43

Flipper43

Sep 7, 2009
    Do Kurt Danielson! :D

2. darth-bass

darth-bass

Jun 10, 2006
    He used a rickenbacker 8 string on some songs for Evil Empire.

3. RISE FROM THE GRAVE MY LOYAL THREAD!! :ninja:
    I had always wondered how may bassists can play with the action low; I have always used a high action because I've always attacked the bass in a feral way for the most of it. Even our producer said I hit the bass as if I hated it :p Anyways, I love Tim's sound and I've been looking for his overdriven sound since I first listened to Audioslave (Got into music 'round 2002, too late for RAtM).
    [Shameless self-promotion] Check out my band Ella Quiere Conmigo; in Compartida I used probably my favourite Overdriven sound off the EP [/Shameless self-promotion]

4. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN

5. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    I accidentally built a sort of tribute bass (if you want to call it that). It's the neck from my '70s Precision (MIJ with my favorite neck dimensions: 1.625 nut width and thin) and a natural jazz body that I bought from a TBer recently. I made a thumbrest because I like the bigger anchor I get on my Stingray and 4-94. A friend told me that it looks like Tim's basses. I'm a huge fan but didn't realize he'd put a P neck on a J before. And, I only bought a natural body because it was available and had routes for a preamp. The maple thumbrest will be made to better blend in either with stain or paint... haven't decided.
    ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385803734.109377.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1385803745.275787.jpg

6. Jaco used that config for his practice bass. More stretch for the left hand.

7. I use a P neck on a Jazz bass... I wish Fender would offer that option.

homie likes this.
  8. jking138

jking138

Oct 6, 2013
    Are they selling these now or is it custom made?

9. sninja

sninja

May 21, 2012
    Tokyo, Japan
    Are Tim's JB pickups just overwounded or have different pole pieces?

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 18, 2021