Tim Commerfords tone....

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by chips, Apr 28, 2004.

1. Hello Punters,

Just wondering, was y.tim.k playing a stingray on self titled and evil empire, or was he rockin on his fender jazz? And also how he gets that tone, it sounds really trebly. I've just been playing with treble on full and both pickups turned up on my Peavey Milestone III, but it still doesnt quite get there... any hints???? :help:

Chips :bassist:
  2. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    You should check the Bass Player Magazine archives, those go over his setup extensively. The issue he was featured in was the middle of last year.

Basically alot of distortion going into three different setups (clean, mild distortion, and heavy distortion). On the older records he said that he used two amps (clean channel, and heavy distortion).

Hope that helped a little
  3. Lewk

Oct 19, 2003
    on the video for bullet in the head he uses his ray, but then, videos don't really mean much. I think it's stingray, as i seem to get pretty close to the tone on mine, and i can't see a jazz doing that.
  4. Eyescream

Feb 4, 2004
    Knoxville, TN
    As I recall, this has been discussed pretty extensively in one of the BG forums a while back. Might wanna do a search.

Anyway, I also seem to recall that he and his bass tech have some special secret things they like to do to his pickups and stomp boxes. YMMV
  5. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    eh... it's a secret.

sssssssssssssshhh shut up.
  6. Dude

Dude Commercial User

Mar 19, 2000
    Owner: The Dude Pit Forum (closed) Producer: School of Bass
    Ask Geddy Lee. :D
  7. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA

Yeah, Geddy Lee is trying to rip off Timmy's tone. He's trying to do the distorted bass thing, and that's Tim's thing.

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

From what i read i think last summer he modifys his amplification greatly and only his tec knows whats actually in his amps.
  9. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    That's what I meant by...

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

It's a BIG secret, better not let it out ;) .
  11. Adam Barkley

Adam Barkley Mayday!

Aug 26, 2003
    Jackson, MS
    Sounded to me like Mr Commerford is insecure with his style and sound. He is probably loaded, why does it matter to him to keep his setup a secret so the bassists who idolize him can't get close to his tone. I didn't like his pick comment either.
  12. cheezewiz

Mar 27, 2002
    I like Commerford's playing, but he came off as a total egomaniacal self centered a-hole in the BP article. Geddy Lee is trying to rip him off...LOL.
  13. Baofu

Mar 8, 2003
    Anyone else think the Geddy comment was joke? C'mon people, none of us were there, can't judge him that much from an edited interview.
  14. The Lurker

The Lurker

Aug 16, 2002
    Nothing you can't do with cheaper gear, either.
  15. Matt Till

Matt Till

Jun 1, 2002
    Edinboro, PA
    Yeah I don't get the being secretive about his tone thing. I mean, I love good tone, and he has good tone... but I've heard better. And if some gear head idolizes you enough, they can get pretty close to your sound without special amp modifications.

The Geddy Lee thing had to be a joke or he's an absolute moron... looking at his tattoos, I don't know which option is true.
  16. Caeros

Jul 24, 2002
    Branford, CT
    How could anyone NOT tell that was a joke? Maybe it's just the way I think, but it seems to me that Timmy C was being sarcastic and having a good time giving the interview. Not an egomaniac at all.
  17. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    fhodshon knows him, and seems to like him well enough. Ask Fred.
  18. Thanks for all the feedback badgers, i been away trying all sorts of things with my eq settings and pickups settings, but still cant get that growl timmy c gets. :meh:

anyone know of a fan site or personal site on him??? might have some info there ;)

19. I just wanted to say that IMO, his tone on the 1st Rage album sounds sooo much better than the one on the other Rage albums, and I wonder what made him change his setup for Evil Empire. That Stingray tone was really bright and defined, lots of high mids and treble, and never gets lost in the mix.