Time change weekend...

Discussion in 'Band Management [BG]' started by chris4001asat, Oct 28, 2005.

1. chris4001asat

Dec 16, 2002
    Toledo, Ohio
    Warehouse Manager : Reverend Guitars
    Believe it or not, after 21 years of playing, this will be my first time change gig! What's the standard? Do you have to play the extra hour? Do you get extra pay? The singer/leader/person who books the band is bad at getting all the little details worked out beforehand...
  2. We're playing this Sat. night as well. We play from 9:00 p.m. until 1:00 a.m. The official time change doesn't happen until 2:00 a.m., so as far as I'm concerned, no extra pay, no extra play (okay, maybe one song more...). That's how we've done it in the past as well.
  3. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    IME, there is no standard. It's usually a judgement call at 2:00 (soon to be 1:00) a.m. by the venue's owner/manager. Sometimes the evening is going well and they want to keep things going. Other times there are too many drunks or the crowd has thinned-out and it's time to close.

Anyway, if you're playing in a nice venue that you would like to play again, I suggest that you play the extra hour (if asked) for no extra pay, and earn some "points". You're already there, and your gear is set-up. Just kind of hint that you're doing them a favor for playing an extra hour...
  4. Bars love the fall back, cause after 1:59 am time goes back to 1 am. They get an extra hour of liquor sales (that is if the license is to stay open till 2 am like it is in Toronto).

Of course that makes up for the hour they lose in the spring.
  5. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    At the venue where I was playing, the local authorities came in and informed the owner that they were going to be watching the bars that stayed open the extra hour very closely.

Drunks from other bars like to seek out the bars that stay open for the extra hour. And, with an extra hour of drinking time, the police watch for drivers that may have been "over-served".

The place I played closed at the regular time, and I got an extra hour of sleep. :)
  6. Here in Cali the bars go by the time they started and the time change has no effect. The clock changes after the place closes. Both for the spring ahead and the fall back.

I'm sure the law varies from state to state.