Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time for a career change. Now what?

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Apr 13, 2004.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've had the same job for 9 years now: selling guitars. I'm sick of it. I've decided to do something different, but I don't know what. I started working in music stores when I was 19, and I've never really done anything else. All I know is music. I'm and intelligent guy, but I have no college education, and no experience with anything other than music is some way. I feel trapped.

Trouble is, I don't have any other interests really (well, I like travel and religious studies, but I don't forsee any lucrative jobs in that market). And even if I do figure something out and go to school for it, it's occured to me that most people have jobs that have nothing to do with what they got their degree in.

So my questions are these: what do you do? How did you get that job in the first place? What do you like about it? What don't you like about it? [Governator voice]Who is your daddy, and what does he do? [/Governator voice]

Feel free to comment on my dilemna in any way you see fit.

2. My approach in a situation like this is to seriously consider self-employment, at least as a part time endeavour. I've had 2 businesses of my own and it is the best situation you can get save for the sometime fluctuating income.

As a musician, there are dozens of possibilities for the self employed.

3. Adding to what Hambone said...ever consider Network Marketing? Not entirely the most fulfilling job, but it will add to your cashflow

4. Matthew Bryson

Matthew Bryson Guest

Jul 30, 2001
    Well, you live in SF don't you? Maybe you could get a job with a cruise line - they must call SF. If you could get on working on a cruise ship you might get a little free travel out of the experience.

(sorry, I work on the waterfront so my ideas about jobs always go strait to ships...)

I know that there is a lot more dock work in CA then up here in WA. (granted longbeach has more than the bay area) Visit your local ILWU dispatch hall and ask the dispatcher how to go about getting "casual longshore work" (the entry level position for longshoring) or you could look up local offices for Stevedoring companies and ask if they're hiring.

5. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Forget what I do - my "career trip" was too screwy;

> in the last year of college, the band was signed and went on nationwide tours and recorded (remember "cassette tapes"???)
    > quit playing tours, finished the degree, and became a suit-wearing gerbil in two Fortune 25 corporations
    > quit that after 15 years and went back to playing bass professionally so my relatives could ask, "What do want to do when you grow up?" :rolleyes:

What I have to offer - as a Clinical Psych major, I used to do the "Self-Directed Search" for the outgoing employees of downsizing companies.
    The SDS, (as it's known), may be a great help to you. It's a self-discovery tool aimed in a career context, that has been a great help to millions in discovering where their talents are and what careers will be satisfying.

I am licensed to administer these and I used to charge $250 for each one in the early 90's. However, that was before the SDS instrument became so popular and before the internet took over. You can get your online SDS for just $10 - http://www.self-directed-search.com.

It's a no-bull assessment. As the site says - It's has been so successful, it has been translated into 25 languages and has been found to be scientifically valid by over 500 research studies.

(FWIW -I still do them sometimes, for $110 bucks....some people like the "personal touch")

6. RAM

RAM

May 10, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Ever consider sales, but of a different sort? You could leverage your sales experience that way, and build a really great career!

Just think about the type of sales you'd like to be in. Remember, EVERYTHING has to be sold...:D

7. Stinsok

Stinsok Supporting Member

Dec 16, 2002
    Central Alabama
    Thumbing through the want ads... Hey! here's one, Night Clerk needed for animal rest home.

8. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    So what did you do? Why don't you do it anymore?

By the way, I put my two weeks notice in today. I'm really throwing caution to the wind here!

9. Bard2dbone

Bard2dbone

Aug 4, 2002
    Arlington TX
    NO! NEVER leave a job without another one already lined up! That is going to bite you in the A$$ big time!

:bag:

10. odie

odie Supporting Member

I can not say that any better!!! The only other option is school. Only acceptable excuse in my book.

11. Benjamin Strange

Dec 25, 2002
    New Orleans, LA
    Too late! :meh:

Actually, I have plenty of money saved up, so I will be ok. Besides, I could always sell my Meatball; that will cover my expenses for a month!

I am considering school as well. Perhaps get a part time job, and go to school in the off time. Now I just have to figure out what I want to learn.

12. Eric Cioe

Eric Cioe

Jun 4, 2001
    Missoula, MT
    From what I understand (this reflects the poster that said most people don't get careers in their majors), it's not what your degree is in so much as it is where it's from. A degree in physical education at University of Chicago will ultimately go further than a degree in pyschology from a community school (extreme examples, yes).

Do some research about topics you might be interested in- you said nothing, but you seem like a bright guy to me that has to be interested in something.

13. Seriously,

My girlfriend lost her job 8 (or so) months ago. She figured she'd be out of work for a couple of weeks. Eight (or so) months later she's still trying to find a job. Severance and unemployment is gone and I had to sell my guitar to pay the mortgage this month.

14. LiquidMidnight

LiquidMidnight

Dec 25, 2000
    Do you think that also has an effect on getting accepted into graduate programs? For example, do you think someone with a 3.5 GPA from Princeton has a better chance of getting accepted into a graduate program than someone with a 3.9 from Florida Sate, for example?

Do you also think that has effects on scholarships? I ask because I'm seriously considering to try like hell for a Marshall scholarship when I begin college next fall. The school I'm going to is well known in PA, but isn't a household name like Yale. Many of the winners of the scholarship come from Ivy Leagues, but some seem to come from smaller schools. Sorry, if you just made a generic comment, and I'm asking you for specific information. :D

15. Blackbird

Blackbird Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 18, 2000
    California
    Here's a thought: take the civil service test.

You can sign up for the test at 31 Gough street. The main snag is that there's a typing test, so you'd have to practice some typing and if hired, you'll have to be fingerprinted.

Still, it's steady work and you get benefits, vacation and all the stuff that goes with it.

To update your skills, I suggest CCSF.

16. Gia

Gia

Feb 28, 2001
    roseability
    prostitution is always a fun alternative to the daily 9 to 5 grind!

17. The opportunity is SO there... must resist, must resist...

:D

18. thrash_jazz

thrash_jazz

Jan 11, 2002
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Artist: JAF Basses, Circle K Strings
    Some good advice here... I should add that going to school should not be viewed as a way to get a good job. If you look at it that purely that way and don't enjoy it, you'll find the material more difficult and you may decide to do something else halfway through.

If you go to school for something, be SURE that it's something you enjoy learning about. Notice I didn't say anything about "career in"... it's "learning about" that's important when you're going to school.