Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

time for a change!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Quagmagog, Nov 28, 2004.

1. Quagmagog

Quagmagog

Nov 28, 2004
    Here's the scoop. Im a 16 yr old that plays in a few bands and have been playng for about 5 yrs now. Im in a jam band, an alt. rock band, and a funky jazz band. I have a MIM jazz with a badass bridge and dimarzio ultra jazz pups. I love this bass but have been itchin for a 5 string. I want a quality bass, not a 5 string that i bought because i had 50$ in my pocket. I would probably have to sell my jazz to get the nicer 5 string. I really like the looks of the laklands and have heard really good things about them, but have not played one yet. I have also owned a few ibanez pieces that i have been happy with and would consider an ibanez. Just let me know what direction i should take or if i should just be happy with my almost perfect jazz.

2. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Lakland Skyline. Ibanez? Really?

3. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Hell, if you want a five, look into it. I don't see any reason you couldn't just get a Jazz V. Spectors make very nice basses, particularly for rockish stuff. ESP's and Schecters aren't bad either, although they may be a bit less versatile. It never hurts to look around and ask questions about individual models though. Obviously your selection will be limited by your budget, but there are tons of great basses out there.

4. Fret Boiler

Fret Boiler Pity World

Apr 12, 2004
    Purdue University
    +1

5. Quagmagog

Quagmagog

Nov 28, 2004
    im sort of liking the dean 5 stings that i have seen, i havent played a dean but i had a bass instructor that swore by his 5 string. its now between that and a Deluxe Jazz V, i like the jazz because of my history with them, but i like the dean for the fret accessability and the 24 fret necks, which would be be a better buy for the money?