Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time for a new amp, what should I get??

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by refinedbass, Aug 3, 2004.

1. Well, I think it is now officially time for me to get a new amp. I currently have an SWR Workingman's 4004 to go with my Workingman's 8x10 and the sound just isn't doin' it for me anymore. So, I have a few questions for you guys--

Should I go with a power/pre set-up or just get a new head??

If I go power/pre, what kind of power amp should I get?

If I stick with a head, what is your best recommendation?? I've actually been considering an SWR 550x or 750x.

Also, does anybody know if the Peavey BAM head is any good?

I'm getting ready to head more into the jazz/funk/blues direction, plus I will still be doing praise & worship stuff for church. Thanks for the help. As always, Talk Bass to the rescue.

2. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    Go with the pre/power amp deal...it gives you options and you can mount everything in one case.

3. r379

r379

Jul 28, 2004
    Dallas, Texas
    I'm new to Talkbass so I wanted to make sure I wasn't violating spam rules before going further.

What power amp you get depends on how much wattage you need/want and how much money you have. I love my SWR Power 750. It was designed for bass so it works well for this but it's not cheap (I got mine used) either. Behringer makes a 1500 watter (same as QSC RMX 1450) which you can pick up for $300. Tube stuff really ain't cheap.

Since you live in the D/FW area, go to Larry Morgan's in Garland and talk to Phil (He's a bass player). That's where I do business and I like those folks.

4. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    what don't you like about your current tone?

I use to have swr wm10 and then bass 350 with bass monitor 12s. after a few years I felt the tone might be "drier" than I wanted eventually I realized that I wanted a fatter warmer sound and eventually all the swr had to go (no offense intended).

first step I'd recommend is buy or borrow a tech21 RBI, RPM or bass BDDI pedal and put one of them into your "return in" on your head to bypass the SWR preamp section. I did this for a long time with and RBI and my swr bass 350. The sound was a little more compressed, but warmer than the 350 alone. I ran my "blend" at about 2 o'clock. some guitar/some sansamp tone.

Then I eventually bought a stewart world 1.2 power amp 1 space, 11 pounds, 1200w bridged into 4ohms!!!! $650 I am very happy with this setup combined with two aguilar gs112s.

5. I don't know, but it just seems that lately the tone has been really bland and kinda muddy. The amp has one of those 5-band EQ's on it, but I just can't get the kind of definition I am wanting with it. The bass is great on the amp, the mids seem a little more "honky" than I like, and it seems like the highs seem to have more of a mid-rangey type of sound, instead of the crystal highs that I'm looking for. If I was wanting just earth shaking low end, then I would be fine with this amp, but I am now starting to play chords and getting into the solo aspect of playing, so I need some more range that I feel this amp isn't giving me.

Well, so far it seems as though the vote is to go power/pre. Come on everybody, chime in.

6. patrickj

patrickj

Aug 13, 2001
    Baltimore, MD
    Get a QSC RMX 1450 and the Behringer V-Bass rack preamp.

:bassist:

7. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    FIrst off I owned or played several of the workingman combos and cabs over the years....and I'm not trying to knock the line of products, honestly! I also had some of the "Pro" like amps and cabs.

I'm wondering if you are describing what I feel is kind of the general "tone" of the working man line of SWR? "honky" is what I might use to describe the sound of many working man drivers (speakers used in the cab). I found the tweeters and/or amp circuits hissy and annoying, I usually turned them down or off. Lows where there, but not fat and deep

if SWR is some of your first gear I can understand the urge to stay with the company, but I urge you to get out and try some other brands with your 810 and try other brands of cabs too! eventually you might find yourself with an alltogether different rig!

again if I had to play with your rig I'd try plugging in the Tech21 RBI or BDDI to warm up the sound.

I AM NOT FOOLING!!!! :hyper:

8. Well everybody, I am going to Larry Morgan Music this weekend to check out some pre's. I talked to Phil yesterday and he said that the problem might be my cab. He told me to come in and check out a Bergantino cab. He said that they have a new one that is replacing the 3x10. It's a 2x10+12. He said that it sounds pretty good too. He also recommended a QSC RMX 1450 or higher as a good, clean power amp, so I'm gonna go check out those this weekend.

What are everybody's thoughts on the Berg cabs? I've never played one, but I've heard, from a few people, that they are amazing.

9. bogart

bogart

Dec 11, 2003
    big bear, ca
    I'd keep the amp, and buy a rickenbacker.

10. IvanMike

IvanMike Player Characters fear me... Staff Member Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2002
    Middletown CT, USA
    i would say that your cabinet is the biggest isue
    swr wm cabs aren't the best and sound liek the way you describe them
    i dunno why you use an 8x10 for worship either - i think you could get away with some smaller cabs
    the bergantino 310 and 12+210 (HT322?) are nice as are a ton of other cabinets

11. I got the 8-10, b/c I have, what you call, a drummer who won't listen. He plays really loud and overplays way too much. :spit: We have told him to chill out about a hundred times, b/c he is being distracting, but he says that if he wasn't all over the place all the time, he wouldn't have any fun playing!!! Ridiculous, I know!! :rollno: That's why I'm gonna start playing with some new people pretty soon. I'll still be doin' the church gig every Sunday, but at least I'll be able to break away from that crazy drummer a little more. When we use a PA, they don't run me through it. They put the guitar, vocals, and 6 drum mics in, but no bass. So, I can't hear myself AT ALL!!! I have told them to put me in the mix many times, because it would give a more full sound, but still, no compliance. I previously had a 4-10 and a 1-15, but the sound was way too muddy. You could hear me a mile away, but got nothin' within 20 feet of it. The 8-10 has helped me to be able to hear myself better, but I'm just not happy with the sound. I thought it was the cabs that I wasn't liking the sound of, but after changing to a new cab, I still don't like the tone I'm getting. So, my guess is that it's time for a better amp.

12. Mike Money

Mike Money Banned

Mar 18, 2003
    Bakersfield California
    Avatar Speakers Endorsing Hooligan
  13. Just a little side note about how hard the drummer plays. For instance, he broke 4 sticks last night while going through 7 songs(about 45 min total). This past saturday, we had to bring in another guitarist to fill in for us, so we had a practice at about 12:30 and practiced for about 2 1/2 hours or so. After that we had to load up to head out, and the guitar player looked at where the drumset usually is set up and he said, "Oh my gosh, man!!! It looks like a woodchuck lives over here!!" I thought it was pretty funny, but seriously, he buys those bricks of sticks from Guitar Center and will have to another one the very next month.

14. Traynor YBA200 without a doubt! It sounds soooooooooooo much better and cleaner than my old 1200 dollar rack of stuff!

it sounds incredible...i couldn't be happier! and they are cheap ta'boot

15. Isn't Traynor now Yorkville??

16. Well, I went to Larry Morgan's this past weekend and got to try some stuff out. the Bergantino HT322 was, by far, the best cab I played. I also tried out an Ampeg SVP-CL preamp and I loved the sound of it.

Does anybody have any comments about the Ampeg pre??