Time for a new amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by nitrofix, Jul 13, 2020.

1. GK Legacy 800

11.8%
  2. Darkglass Microtubes 900 V2

4.3%
  3. Mesa Boogie D-800+

17.4%
  4. Mesa Boogie WD-800

16.8%
  5. Orange 4 Stroke 500

1.9%
  6. other

19.9%
  7. Mesa TT-800

28.0%
  1. nitrofix

nitrofix Supporting Member

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Hey Guys and Gals, I'm in the market for a new amp and once again on the fence about what to get, YouTube videos only get you so far so I'm reaching out to see what you guys think..I play a little bit of everything mostly Rock in a cover band. I think I have narrowed it down to these choices, if you choose Other let me know what Other amp you're referring to...Thanks

2. Qlanq

Qlanq

Jul 9, 2007
    Swansea
    I have a Fender Bassman 500 and a Genz Benz Shuttle 9.2. Both awesome.

Bruiser Stone, JettBlaq and Bassdirty like this.
  3. lug

lug Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2005
    League City, Tx
  4. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    Depending on your tone goals, there's not a bad choice in the group IMO. Although, @lug is right, I would definitely add the new Mesa TT-800 to the list.

5. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Done..Thanks Al

TN WOODMAN and Al Kraft like this.
  6. Goatrope

Goatrope Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2011
    Sarasota Florida
    All of your options listed are great. If weight isn’t an issue, consider a Fender Super Bassman 300. I went this direction after traveling the D-Class path for a few years.

The Fender Super Bassman 300 thread

I also play a wider variety of music, and have been in a three-piece rock cover band for the past five years.

The SB300 has two channels, so you can have a clean and dirty setup at the stomp of a switch. I ditched all my dirt pedals when I began using the SB300. I find it to have a more pleasing sound than the SVT variants.

I still have a Mesa D800 and GK Fusión 800 as backups.

DTRN, rodl2005 and sludgetail like this.
  7. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Now thats's a little out of my price range, although looks like a Great Amp..

Goatrope likes this.
  8. Wicked G

Wicked G

Jan 19, 2017
    Hell Paso Texas
    If you could tell us what type of tone you like that could help us to help you. However for my personal needs I would go:
    1. Mesa TT800
    2. Orange 4 Stroke
    3. Mesa WD800
    4. Mesa D800+
    5. GK Legacy 800
    6. Darkglass Microtubes
    The WD800 and 4 Stroke could trade places, but for now that is how I am ranking them.

nitrofix, TN WOODMAN and Al Kraft like this.
  9. I have a Darkglass Alpha-Omega 900 and I could not be more excited everytime I turn it on.

TN WOODMAN likes this.
  10. TinIndian

TinIndian Supporting Member

Jan 25, 2011
    Micco Florida
    The two I'd like the most are the MESA TT800 and the GK Legacy. The Super Bassman that was suggested is a heck of an amp as well.

11. nilorius

nilorius Inactive

Oct 27, 2016
    Riga - Latvia
    What i just did, i choose other - Aguilar tone hammer 500.

LoveThatBass and Dabndug like this.
  12. Al Kraft

Al Kraft Supporting Member

May 2, 2016
    Northern Virginia
    That is a great choice as well!

LoveThatBass likes this.
  13. Killing Floor

Killing Floor Supporting Member

Feb 7, 2020
    Austin, TX
    Mesa is 70% of the votes. Mesa would have a podium sweep (top 3) except for "other" which is everything.
    I'm sure you can find a way to comb your data.

14. bordinco90

bordinco90

Dec 7, 2011
    SW Louisiana
    Markbass Little Mark III is a nice amp too. It may be worth a shot.

SJan3 likes this.
  15. arbiterusa

arbiterusa

Sep 24, 2015
    SoCal
    Power range he's looking at, I'd suggest the big brother version and go with the Little Mark 800. Not the one with the tube. They shouldn't sound different but they do. The all solid state version of that amp is awesome.

SJan3 likes this.
  16. nitrofix

Jan 15, 2009
    Miami Fl
    Just talked to my guy at Sweetwater and it seems like Mesa Boogie has a freeze on their prices so no discount, I can get the GK Legacy 800 2x10" combo for $999.

17. Bruiser Stone

Bruiser Stone Supporting Member

Dec 7, 2017
    Tennessee
    You could save some $ and go for a used Genz Benz Shuttle 9.0. @agedhorse (now with Mesa) serviced mine under the continuing service plan a few months ago and has it ready to roll for another decade and beyond. Another TB’er has bumped a listing recently. It’s not new and sexy, but it’s simple to use and cuts through with authority.

Low8 likes this.
  18. Texan

Texan 667 Neighbor of the Beast.

Aug 15, 2004
    Houston, TX
    Genzler Magellan 800

19. I would go other - simply because I've never played through any of those amps. In the last year of gigging and using a different backline amp every week, I've only ever been given Fender Rumbles (all fine but not very inspiring), Ampeg fridges (make you feel like an absolute rockstar and sound superb but I wouldn't want to cart one around) and the odd variation of a Markbass if I've been lucky (These are the best in my opinion! The tone just punches you in the face but still brings out the characteristics of whichever bass you're using).

I only mention that I've never played any of the amps in your poll because these backline ones seem to be the "industry standards" where I am. But if you like the tone of the ones you've listed, go for it! I've certainly not heard anything bad about them.

My own amp is a markbass cab with an aguilar head and it does everything I could want it to.

SJan3 likes this.
  20. shastaband

shastaband Supporting Member

Dec 12, 2006
    Don’t let the lack of a discount change your mind about the Mesa amps. Buy once, cry once. You will get MORE than your money’s worth with Mesa. Solid, well-designed, 5 year transferable warranty, the designer here on TB to answer questions, what’s not to like?

Before the pandemic, I was using my D800 on ALL my gigs, despite having a Thunderfunk, two Edens, a Genz Benz Shuttle, and a GK. Now I’m saving up for another Mesa. WD? TT?

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 26, 2021