time for a new bass...

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by shortdawg161, Nov 9, 2003.

1. shortdawg161

Jun 15, 2002
    I'm 16 years old and i have been playing bass for 2 and a half years and i think i want a new bass. right now, i have a 95 fender jazz bass with jazz bartolini pick-ups. its an awesome bass, but its just really heavy. when i play i wanna be able to like move around and stuff, and its hard with this bass. if anyone has any ideas for me, i would like a light bass, with a thin neck, 4 string, and a nice jazz sound. thanks :)
  2. Geddy Lee !!! I want one so bad !I can visualize playing it and liking it. Damn pathetic....
  3. hyperlitem

hyperlitem Guest

Jul 25, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    dunno if you think a jazz is heavy u may be in trouble. Dunno like the curbows are light, the basslabs are super duper light. What kind of music to do play?
  4. SuperDuck

Sep 26, 2000
    Light bass with a thin neck? Try an Ibanez. They have a series of basses where the body is made of Luthite, which is some artificial plastic like material. Depending on which model you get you can probably get a Jazz Bass tone. Sort of. :meh:

EDIT- I almost forgot. I bought a Fender Highway 1 P-Bass, and it's the lightest bass I own. Not what I expected at all. You might try to the Highway 1 Jazz basses, to see if they are also light.
  5. the Geddy Lee is heavy as crap.
  6. Aussie Mark

Aussie Mark I come from a land down under Supporting Member

Oct 26, 2002
    Sydney, Oz
    Endorsing Artist: Fender; O'Neill Amps; Cave Passive Pedals
    A gym membership would be cheaper than a new bass if you are having trouble carrying all that weight around.

Why compromise on instrument quality just so you can jump around a bit more on stage? Remember, a lighter instrument is going to be less durable if you knock it around while you're busy moving around "and stuff".

And like the other guy said, if you think a jazz bass is heavy, you might be in for a surprise if you try some other basses :)
  7. Stephen Soto

Stephen Soto

Oct 12, 2003
    I have an Ibanez Soundgear (SR), and it sounds really good for jazz. The Ibanez EDA series:http://www.ibanez.com/guitars/series.asp?s=eda&l=b .