1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Time for a new power conditioner

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by kewp, Feb 16, 2016.

1. kewp

kewp

Mar 12, 2015
    My old Furman M-8x2 has bit the dust and I am looking for a replacement. I have a very noisy room that I am working with plus clubs with pretty dodgy power . The cheap Furman I had did not help at all. Could still hear the lights turned on and off in other rooms, etc. This time Im going to bite the bullet and upgrade.

I am not running a ton stuff...Ampeg SVT Pro 7, a DBX 160A, and a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power 2. My working budget is $250 or so, but can spend a little more if it is worth it. Looking for something that can handle spikes plus clean some of the noise issues.

So far, I am looking at:

Furman PL Plus C

Furman PL Plus DMC

Furman PL-8C

Does anyone have any advice or suggestions?

Oh, mind as well this here too..... besides the pops and hiss from the bad wiring at my house, I have a constant A# hum that follows me everywhere. I know that is not a power conditioner thing, but what could be causing it? Doesn't matter whether I have the bass plugged in through the pedal board or straight into the amp.

2. Those are simply very expensive surge strips. Don't expect them to help with your dirty power issues.

samson3382 likes this.
  3. ddnidd1

ddnidd1 Supporting Member

As mentioned above they're surge power strips that won't do anything regarding noise, conditioning or voltage regulation.

samson3382 likes this.
  4. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    So anyone have any recommendations for inexpensive plug in RF noise filters? Whether with or without surge protection, not sure I care, with is better, I guess. I have terribly noisy power lines here, hard to even listen to the radio due to interference.

5. Growlmonkee

Growlmonkee

Jan 30, 2013
    Florida, U.S.
    Isolated power supplies are expensive, and they don't help with stage noise coming through your pickups, or rf present in the room, surge suppressors are good to have, but, for under 250 dollars there is, and always has been marketing deception about them, with every surge you have less and less protection, in a short time at bar gigs, they still power your system, but there is no surge protection left in them, ones that are not "used up" a little with every surge, are large, heavy, and very expensive, $500 to start, or so, and not practical to carry around. The good thing is our gear is made to hold up to mild surges anyway. I play every week on a noisy stage, I've resigned myself to a cheap Furman power conditioner, and a noise gate, so my stage rig isn't "singing" while I'm not playing, the noise gate I have does nothing once I start playing, but helps a lot with both the stage, and the PA when not playing.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2016
  6. primusfan1989

primusfan1989

Jan 17, 2005
    new jersey
    I know this has been said before but most power conditioners are over priced rack mountable surge protectors. I recommend finding a UPS/battery backup (for computers), regardless of the quality of power coming from your outlet, the unit takes that power and charges an internal battery. Said battery then provides a clean constant 110v to whatever you're powering (computers, amplifiers etc..), in addition to the clean power the battery there will be a level of protection from power surges/outages. You can find these unit for under $100 and you get more bang for your buck IMO