Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time For a Shave

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Andy Brown, Jan 28, 2006.

1. Andy Brown

Andy Brown Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Founder: Wing Bass
    ... a neck shave that is. I just rec'd my Valenti (Warmoth Deluxe 5) neck back from Michael Dolan who shaved the profile down so it is now similar to my F Bass and Sadowsky. Let me tell you he does incredible work. It feels like it was originally made that way. It's definately worth the money. Thanks to Poon for tipping me off to this.

2. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

How do you like Michaels work?

3. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    Perfect.

4. PasdaBeer

PasdaBeer

Nov 2, 2002
    Santa Rosa California
    SandStorm Designs
    im glad i live 10 min from michaels shop..

hes an awsome guy, does great work, and really takes care of his customers.

im pricing out a 5 string fanned fret with him, i cant wait.

5. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    I had never heard of having this done before. Interesting.

6. flea used to have his MM stingrays shaved and shaped to his tastes. now he plays his modulus live.

robb.

7. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    I had that done on my jazz bass with a satin oil finish on the back instead of that 1/4 inch of lacquer that fender puts on there.

8. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Is Michael Dolan receptive to people just contacting him about performing these neck shaves, or was this more of a favor? I wouldn't want to request this of him and have him react negatively.

9. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    He was perfectly fine with me. I had no contact with him before the request.

10. Pickebass

Pickebass Supporting Member

Jul 12, 2004
    San Antonio, TX
    I bought a neck here on talkbass that was made by Michael Dolan. The worksmanship is incredible. This bass is one of my favorites because of the neck... I'd put it on par wit ANY boutique bass including Sadowsky, Ken Smith or anybody else!

He's one of those guys who probably we know but doesn't have the recognition in the bass community. HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!

11. MAJOR METAL

MAJOR METAL HARVESTER OF SORROW Staff Member Supporting Member

I am going to have Michael work on a custom project for me , glad to hear he gets good reviews.

12. Jean Baudin

Jean Baudin

Aug 27, 2003
    redwood city, ca
    Endorsing Artist: See Profile
    Besides doing customs, Michael does a lot of repair work. He's worked on several of my instruments (my alembic, my ralph 5, pac-9, and the hideous claw) so he definitely works on stuff other than his own. Great for me because he's local, does great work and is reasonably priced.

13. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Awesome, thanks for the heads-up, AJ and Jean. I have one neck that maybe could be a bit trimmer, but nothing too dramatic. If I ever need him in the future, it's great to know that he's around and willing to lend a hand.

14. ptidwell

ptidwell Commercial User

Jun 13, 2005
    Los Angeles
    Owner LoPHAT Cabinets
    AJ,
    Can you let me know how I may contact him.
    feel free to PM me if necessary. If I can get my Valenti 5 (Warmoth) neck to feel like my F Bass neck; WOW!

15. willgroove2

willgroove2

Aug 16, 2003
    chicago IL
    Endorsing Artist;Essential sound products,Dunlop, Ergo Instruments
    mike made me a neck several years ago, wonderful craftsmanship and rock solid

16. Andy Brown

Jul 23, 2004
    Rhode Island
    PM sent.

For those who wish to contact Mr. Dolan, the info from his website is:

Michael Dolan Custom Guitars
    3222 Airway Drive #4
    Santa Rosa, CA. 95403
    (707)575-0654
    http://www.dolanguitars.com

The shaving takes roughly 3-4 weeks depending on his workload. Please solidify cost with him via phone or email. Also, I asked for a 'shallow C' and gave him profile dimensions at the 1st and 12th frets. The profile dimension is the 'thickness' measurement from the top of the fretboard to the back of the neck. Calipers come in handy for this.

17. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Roger and his crew just reshaped my Sadowsky 5 neck for me. Slimmer profile plus I had the nut taken from 1 7/8ths down to 1 3/4rs. Feels amazing. Fits my hand perfect

Rob

18. that's interesting, rob...so I take it not only did they slim the profile but that brought in the width as well? or just the nut?

19. bikeplate

bikeplate Supporting Member

Jun 7, 2001
    Upstate NY
    HI

Yea. Just completely did it over. Reprofiled the back and now the nut isnt as wide. I guess they just slowly sanded everything down so a shorter nut would now fit. He also refretted it(didnt need it) and refinished it. Feels like its new again

Rob

20. TuckLM

TuckLM

Apr 4, 2005
    Has anyone had a later model Ric neck shaved or reshaped?