Time for an intro...

Discussion in 'Welcome Forum - New Member Intros' started by rtsquared, Jul 8, 2008.

1. rtsquared

rtsquared Lifelike N00B

Jul 7, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    I would say I'm a newbie to the bass, but that would be an insult to newbies everywhere. I'm actually new to music in general.

Name's John - in Grand Prairie, TX (somewhere in the great grey area in the middle of the Metromess). I currently work in SQL support as a contractor at Micro$oft. 32, separated, no kids, two dogs. My main hobbies (aside from bass, I _hope_) are Scrabble, poker, reading, and watching/attending sporting events.

I never learned anything about music when in school (well, aside from the treble clef anamonics) as I was too busy doing other stuff. I always wanted to learn to play an instrument, but life (not to mention an unhealthy dose of procrastination) got in the way. Now my friends' kids are learning to play instruments, and...yeah, no time like the present. I settled on bass because it seems to fit my personality better than most other instruments, and I wanted to be a little...different?

I've acquired the basics (combo amp, tuner/metronome, scale/mode books, songbooks) with the exception of, well, the bass. I ordered a Hohner B2AV in Walnut off eBay, and it is supposed to arrive Thursday. I'm certainly not the most patient person in the world, so this is driving me insane (I originally typed a Spoonerized two-word phrase in which the second word was "futs", but I wouldn't want to offend in my first post).

I've read a couple stories in the Instruction forum regarding non-traditional students that have given me some hope. I also found Pacman's method for learning scales, and it's systematic enough that I feel I can stick to it and hopefully learn quickly. I just have to make myself practice...the whole dedication issue (I have a distinct tendency to make grandiose plans to do something, only to disavow them at the drop of a lead fedora).

I also have G.A.S. for a custom Wishbass - which is completely and utterly wrong at this point. :help:

If I ask a question, and it could be interpreted as either moronic or smarta$$ed, it is because I am that much of a moron. Not that I'm above that type of humor, mind you, but I don't know enough to be able to make those comments.

John

2. Welcome John.

This is a great place to ask questions and learn.

Personally I recommend an instructor to get you started with good technique. But lots of people teach themselves so, you decide.

There are also numerous sites which can be helpful.
    www.studybass.com (some real good info here)
    www.musicdojo.com (relatively inexpensive on line lessons)

and many more which will reveal themselves as you go........

Once again, Welcome and congratulations on your choice.

3. rtsquared

rtsquared Lifelike N00B

Jul 7, 2008
    Grand Prairie, TX
    As James Barrie once said, "I am not young enough to know everything". Ergo, I definitely plan on finding an instructor.

However, I was thinking that I could learn the barebones on my own with the help of books and Web sites. It seems to me that I would get more out of instruction if I can find my way around the fretboard without a GPS and trails of bread crumbs. Of course, I could wind up learning all sorts of bad habits that will require unlearning when I do endeavor to get professional instruction.

Decisions, decisions...

4. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jul 23, 2021