1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Time for an upgrade..Low cost Bass rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by CatfishStudios, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Ive been playing bass for about a year and a half and am ready to try and audition or form a band. Ive been on the dark side "guitarist" for around 20 years, but have come over to bass and have recently learned my theory. Just a tonal choice really.My birthday is the 29th and Ill have a bit of cash...and I also have a lot of guitar gear to sell or trade for bass gear. Id like to keep it around from say 400-800 bucks.... I play a Fender Hwy one Jazz, Funk/jazz and jam type stuff. The Acoustic amp stuff has me interested, but doesn't seem to be in the wattage range ill need.. I'm going in the direction of a large band scene, like an 8 or more piece, with horns and backup singers..so ill need some volume... I also don't know crap about bass amps,if I should go rack, need a comp, and so on. Any help or recommendations beyond "use the search function" would be greatly appreciated.... please be kind, I'm green :D
    I would also prefer to go used..so in my range, used, for the sound I want and power I need.

2. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    That's a wild speaker...three outs, all 4 ohms...looks like it's designed to biamp. But 300w power handling is pushing it if you plan on being really loud. The average SS head nowadays can blow it if you're not careful. Looks awfully big for what it can do. I don't know...I'd probably pass.

3. Good to know...Im new to the "ohms" deal..hehe...So this cab is like 2 separate cabs combined?
    It also seems to me, most of the bassist that I enjoy, tonewise anyways, are using 4 10 cabs...

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    Yeah, the 410 is one of the more popular cabs. And yeah, that cab is sort of like two separate cabs. Don't know what it looks like on the inside, but it's possible they built each compartment separately. It's not that it would be bad, I just think you can do better for the money.