Time for an upgrade

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Sunday, Dec 29, 2005.

1. Sunday

Mar 30, 2005
    When i started noodleing around with the idea of plaing bass i wasn't especially interested and so i bought a really cheap starter pack dealio and i've been jamming around on this little tiny combo amp that came with it. So i've been playing bass for about a year now...starting to get a little bit better and now i'm playing with a band occasionally, the little combo amp isn't loud enough and it's getting old anyways. I'm super into playing now and i want to upgrade so i can get louder with better sound.

Now bear with me because i don't even know the terms for what i want. I think what i'm into getting is a half stack maybe? What all do i need? I think i need an amp and a cab but im not going to lie, i don't even know for sure what to look for.

one thing for sure though i want to go past little combo amps...anyone care to point me in the right direction? I couldn't find newbie threads on this...partially because i didn't even know what to look for.

2. MichaelB_71

Dec 24, 2005
    What type of music do you play, what is the band arrangement? Is the drummer someone who hits like he is trying to bust his shells? One or 2 guitarists? Will you have pa support for gigs or will you need to hit the back wall with your rig? Do you have a strong back or are you looking for something very easy to tote?
  3. AxtoOx

Nov 12, 2005
    Duncan, Okla.
    Also, what's your buget look like?
  4. Matt Call

Matt Call Supporting Member

Aug 1, 2004
    Minneapolis, MN
    Contrary to popular belief, this is a HUGE factor when getting a new amp.
  5. Sunday

Mar 30, 2005
    Currently i'm not steady with any band but the dude i've been jamming with hits the drums likes hes trying to go through them. The number of Guitarists vary, normally 2.
    I guess mainly i need something to help me get above the drums. My little 15inch combo amp can't be heard well over the precussion.

Im into any type of music, but i'm super in love with ska and apart from that I love Incubus, POD, and 311, at least that's the stuff i try to emulate. I've also been playing around with some blues and jazz stuff. So pretty much whatever the mood calls for.

Budget is lacking slightly. I'm thinking entry level as far as this stuff goes, as long as it's better than my little dude.

thanks for the feedback

6. MichaelB_71

Dec 24, 2005
    You can probably do just fine with a 2x10 or a 2x12 (8ohm) and a head that pushes say 150 - 200 watts @ 8 ohm (but make sure it will take a 4ohm load as well). You may want to check out some used bass heads at local pawn shops or on ebay. You can normally find a decent used head through either that will do you good - like a peavey, etc... For a cab, I would say buy new if you can. I don't know alot about avatar, but they look decent and from what I hear are proably the best "bang for buck" cab in the price range. You can buy direct from them or you can locate them on ebay (the guy sells on there as well, normally for less than on their site). Some people have had decent luck with behringer stuff, and some people hate them to no end - I have no opinion on their bass equip except for a good experience I had with their 12 kickback combo (borrowed from a friend just to check it out). Anyway, the reason I recommend stay in the 8ohm world for the cab - expandability - you can always add another 8ohm later if you need more umph (2 8ohm cabs will give you a 4ohm load, which most bass heads will do and not die on you). Hope this helps, good luck!
  7. Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    I"m confused at first you said "little tiny combo amp" and then you said "My little 15inch combo" what amp do you have manufacturer and model number. so we can get a better Idea of where you stand with equipment. also fill out your "profile". sorry, not trying to be hard on you... click the "my talkbass" link above. that will help others get back ground on you equipment and interests.

if you are going to get a "stack" you'll probably start with a "head" (amp and preamp in one unit, no speaker) Then you need a "cab" (box with speakers in it). if you have no money you should probably shop used like ebay or the local used music shop. expect to spend probably $400-500 for head and one cab. where do you live (profile)? try to get a "head" with 300+ watts at 4ohms, more watts if you can afford it. Heads are usually available up to about 800w, then you'd have to get separate preamp and poweramp for more then that. then find a 410 (box with 4 10" speakers in it) cabinet or maybe a 115 (15" speaker) the cabinet should be "8 ohms" and at least 300w handling IMO. I'd stick with regular companies like SWR, Gallien krueger, EDEN, ampeg, peavey. avoid amp with prices that seem too good to be true.

If you had real money to spend I'd suggest dropping about $2000!!! on a head an two cabs new.

Some may call me crazy, but thats what I'd suggest.
  8. +1
    You also might want to check out yorkville. They have great "bang for the buck" gear.
  9. Sunday

Mar 30, 2005
    my little combo amp is called "rumble 15" by fender. its the one that came with the pack

Mcrelly thatnks for the feedback thats what i was looking for. just needed a shove in the right direction.

so i'll be needing a head and a cab, i'm expecting to spend about 600$...what is all this about power stuff though? 400w and 8ohms? what does this mean? and will any head work with any cab?

thanks again everyone

10. Check the sticky at the top of this forum. The FAQ section is really helpful about that stuff. Also do a search for any of the terms you want to know about and I promise you will have all of the information you will ever need. I learned more about amps from this forum than I could learn by enrolling in a technical school. :bassist:
  11. look into a combo i'd say, something around 200 watts, it'll keep up with a drummer... Yorkville is indeed a good place to start.
  12. Herman

Dec 25, 2005
    Lynchburg, VA
    I just went from a combo (BX1200) to a separate amp/cab. On eBay, I picked up a used Peavey Mark VI for $100+shipping; from Dave at Avatar I got a B210 for $258 shipped - total of just under $400. So, if you want to go cheap(er) than the $600 you're pondering, I recommend looking at eBay for a decent used amp head and Avatar for a good, low cost cab. The diference in tone/loudness is night and day between a 12"/120W Behringer combo and the Peavey/Avatar setup (the new one's better by far).
  13. Basroil

May 25, 2005
    Lake Forest, CA
    I HIGHLY reccomend the SWR LA12. About 200$, very loud for 60W, gets over drums easily, and it has a variety of tones, great for any style.
  14. Stumpy6653

Sep 12, 2004
    Sacramento, CA
    I have a nice combo that will keep up with the gorilla drummers. (the ones that break heads and sound like they are going through the walls)

I have the Eden Metro (2x10"/horn) it has about 300+/- watts. But you ad cabs to it (down to a 2ohm load) and it gets real loud. It also is studio quality sound.

Pricey, though.

15. Sunday

Mar 30, 2005
    Awesome, thanks alot guys