1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Time For My First Car!

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by Grizzly700, Apr 18, 2010.

1. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I recently turned 16 and my parents have decided that they want to get me a new car. (I know, I'm spoiled, but they want to get me something that I can rely on and use throughout college) I want something that looks good, gets decent gas mileage, is reliable, and has enough room to carry my bass equipment in. My 2 favorites at the moment are the Chevy HHR and the Toyota FJ. What are your recommendations?

2. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    It's fricking crazy how young you can start driving over your way.

I'd suggest whatever you can get the most mpg out of and something that's not going to cost an arm and a leg to insure.

3. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    Its just wrong and easy. I wish we had the stricter regulations that the majority of Europe has.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    This is the last year for both the FJ and the HHR. I've got an 07 HHR LS that I LOVE, great gas mileage, comfortable, and reliable. Can stuff a BUNCH of gear in the back of it, and I can't recommend it enough.

If you have any particular questions, let me know, but I can tell you in 25k miles, I've spent no more money than oil changes ever 5k. I've now got nearly 50k on the car with no issues other than front struts that were starting to leak, but replaced under warranty.

I've even run the HHR off the road due to black ice, and other than ripping off the front air dam and bending two steel wheels (I hit HARD), the car needed nothing other than a front end alignment and some replacement wheels.

5. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I didn't think I would like it, but I test drove an LS and an SS (both 2010) and they handled like a DREAM. The great gas mileage is really appealing since I put $45 of gas in my truck Tuesday then had to put another $47 in today... The gas for my dads Silverado costs as much as the payment would for an HHR lol.

6. L-A

L-A

Jul 17, 2008
    Eh?
    Did you talk about your choices to your parents? The FJ is 30k $ and up if you buy new, that's a lot for a youngster's first car. You can buy a Mercedes Class B if you're going for that price, and it'll drink less gas for the same cargo space.

In terms of mpg, the HHR wins. I'd maybe look at other cars that offer good cargo (no need to look like a SUV to do that) like the Mazda CX-7 or Toyota Matrix.

7. TheDarkReaver

TheDarkReaver Banned

Mar 20, 2006
    Lincolnshire, UK
    If you're just looking to haul around your basic bass gear you can do it with a 3 door hatchback, you don't really need a big car for that sort of stuff.

8. UnsungZeros

UnsungZeros The only winning move is not to play.

There's a high likelihood that you're going to crash in your first car at that age. Nothing against you personally, but that's just how the statistics play out and as much as you want to believe that you're the exception, you're probably not. You probably don't want to drop too much on this car. Get a 1992 Ford Taurus SHO. Conan O'Brien makes it look badass.

Anyway, I drive a 2007 Honda Civic. I love it to death. Great gas mileage, safe, reliable and fun to drive. I'm not sure it would meet your gear hauling requirements though.

9. McHaven

McHaven

Mar 1, 2005
    But this is 'Merica! :scowl:

On topic, a Honda Civic and Accord both fit: 2 4x10 cabinets, 1 pt-pro, 2 bass heads, 3 basses, and 2 people at a time, IME.

If you want another efficient, bigger option check out a Honda CRV. Good mileage, lots of room and not too expensive.

10. WookieeForLife

WookieeForLife

Sep 30, 2008
    PA.
    Im sixteen and I have a Geo Spectrum. Gotta love 20 year old hatch backs!

11. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    Anybody have anything to say about the Mazda 6, Subaru Impreza, Chevy Equinox, or Dodge Charger?

12. Cannabass

Cannabass

Jan 22, 2010

hell yeah you do! thats what i like to hear!

13. Lammchop93

Lammchop93 Supporting Member

Feb 4, 2007
    Louisville, KY
    How much bass gear are you carrying?

I got a 1998 Oldsmobile Bravada as my first car. I love it, but my wallet doesn't. The pro's weigh out the cons though.

14. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I would probably be carrying as much as 2 410s, 3 guitars/basses, and some recording equipment. I am also saving up for a DB, so maybe add that to the list.

15. My first truck was a hand-me-down from my sister. My current truck cost $4000 :eyebrow: :(

16. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Retired Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    Either:

[​IMG]

Or:

toyota-venza-2-big.

17. MadMan118

MadMan118

Jan 10, 2008
    Vallejo, CA
    My first car was a 1986 Toyota 4 Runner. It started every time in the dead of winter in Anchorage, and ran all day, carried everything I needed it to, and didn't carve in to my wallet too bad. I still have it to this day dinged, dented and rusted but it still runs like its brand new. Personally i don't think first time drivers should start with a new car, they(the drivers) drive like crap IMO.

18. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    I like, thanks for pointing that out. I may take a test drive in one of those.

19. Get a Chevy Cobalt. My gf has one and it's a nice car. I got my first car about 4 months ago and it's a 2001 Impala. But if I could pick a new car it would be either a new Impala or Cobalt

oh yea I don't think it's that great of an idea that you should get a new car. Lots of teens wreck there cars because they don't know how to drive. I'm not saying that you don't know how to drive but sh*t happens.

20. Grizzly700

Grizzly700

Mar 18, 2008
    Maryville, TN
    My mom has a Cobalt and I like it, but it is just too small to haul around my bass equipment. It's a pain trying to get a 410 in the back seat.