Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time for new amp, need advice....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by screamingdaisy, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Ok, so I'll be returning from a brief tour of the Middle East in a few weeks with a bank account that's flush with government cash.....

....anyway, in no particular order;

Mesa Bass 400+
    Mesa Big Block 750
    Ampeg SVT 2Pro
    Ampeg SVT 3Pro

Pros/cons of each? I know the two hybrids will have a substantial wieght savings, but wieght really isn't really a concern for me. I'm more looking into tone/versitility. I want a big bottom end, a 3D sounding (not flat) midrange, ALOT of grind, and an ability to move from band to band without needing to change amps.

I play primarly direct to amp with no fx and use a Godin P/J type bass. My main interest is in the slower forms of heavy music (think Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, Boris, Electric Wizard, Crowbar, Alice in Chains, ect) but I do alot of crossover into punk, hard rock, and I'm starting to experiment with ambient (ie, Fripp) and jazz (the only thing that's holding me back from buying a Music Man fretless is my need of a good amp).

The only one of the above that I've played before is the Ampeg SVT 3Pro. I really liked it's overall sound, but I really missed the extra little "bit" that the tube heads I've tried had.....namely the feel of the tubes compressing and the slight clip on the attack.

Any comparison and/or thoughts for or against would be appreciated.