Time for new amp, need advice....

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by screamingdaisy, Feb 11, 2006.

1. Ok, so I'll be returning from a brief tour of the Middle East in a few weeks with a bank account that's flush with government cash.....

....anyway, in no particular order;

Mesa Bass 400+
    Mesa Big Block 750
    Ampeg SVT 2Pro
    Ampeg SVT 3Pro

Pros/cons of each? I know the two hybrids will have a substantial wieght savings, but wieght really isn't really a concern for me. I'm more looking into tone/versitility. I want a big bottom end, a 3D sounding (not flat) midrange, ALOT of grind, and an ability to move from band to band without needing to change amps.

I play primarly direct to amp with no fx and use a Godin P/J type bass. My main interest is in the slower forms of heavy music (think Soundgarden, Black Sabbath, Boris, Electric Wizard, Crowbar, Alice in Chains, ect) but I do alot of crossover into punk, hard rock, and I'm starting to experiment with ambient (ie, Fripp) and jazz (the only thing that's holding me back from buying a Music Man fretless is my need of a good amp).

The only one of the above that I've played before is the Ampeg SVT 3Pro. I really liked it's overall sound, but I really missed the extra little "bit" that the tube heads I've tried had.....namely the feel of the tubes compressing and the slight clip on the attack.

Any comparison and/or thoughts for or against would be appreciated.