Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time In ... Time Out

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Mike Dimin, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    This morning I submitted my resignation as an Ask The Pro. I have asked Paul to make it effective July 1st in order to give those of you who frequent this forum a chance to ask some final questions, re-read some great threads and generally get a sense of closure.

I've been here since the early days- when it was just a few of us. We all new each other and because we were small or perhaps because we were more mature, TB was a wonderful place where great info and mutual respect was the way.

Through all the phases to TB, I have met some wonderful people. Some via email and some actually in person. This alone has been worth every "issue" that I have had through the years. I did a great deal more than just answer questions, I intiated the first TB Annaheim Bass Bash and did a free clinic for the NYC TB GTG. TB has been an integral part of my live for many years now. I am sad and angry that I find I can no longer stomach what TB has turned into.

Unfortunately with the popularity of TB, many, who hid their agenda, ignorance or their bitterness, behind a screen name drove away some pretty heave Pros, namely Jeff Berlin and Dann Glenn (see what you were missing).

IMHO, TB has gotten out of hand and I can no longer be part of the mayhem. In part, it has come down to, what I see as, a very flawed Commercial Users Policy. A policy that allows corporate shills, 5 percenters and others that have no (or limited) experience to talk trash about companies that I work with and hurt people that I love. In my position as Ask The Pro and Commercial User I am not allowed to respond, even in the most innocent way without complaints and ultimately having my posts deleted.

So after getting a totally innocent post deleted via a complaint by Aguilar (where I stated, "EA and Aggie have different design philosophies" and "if you like the aggie ag500, get it"), I had to ask myself, "can I justify supporting a business (yes TB is a business) that hurts the companies and people that I love?" When you ask it, in that way, the answer is easy - NO.

I will miss my time here but still have some "Pro" forums at other sites. Please check my website for more info and feel welcome to come see me there or, by all means, email me.

Sincerely,

Michael T. Dimin

2. Sorry to hear it. Your vast wealth of knowledge has come in handy more than a couple of times for me. Kudos for sticking to your principles, though!

3. Another one bites the dust, maybe something needs to be done :meh:

I will be sorry to see you go and have enjoyed reading your threads. I feel you are one of the few sensible voices on here and you will be missed by me. We have spoken a few times via e-mail and you have always been very responsive and giving of your time and knowledge to me.

Good luck in your future endeavours.

Cheers

Nick

4. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

I will also be sorry to see you go Mike; I also tend to agree that the BG side of the board has probably become too popular and has suffered from the kind of things you mention - it's certainly not what it was anyway!! :(

5. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I don't reply in your forum often but I loved to read it for sure.
    Very sorry to see you go Mike.
    I do understand your reasons though.

6. Very sorry to hear it Mike,

I appreciate your contributions here, and I'd hoped to get the opportunity to learn some more from you, and get to know you a little better.

Hopefully I can keep track of where you're at in the future ;)

What a coincidence! I'm listening to "Autumn Leaves" from your Big Droppins CD as we speak - what an arrangement!

Cheers,

Luke.

7. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Mike and I have not seen eye-to-eye for some time now, well, since the introduction of the CUP I suppose. Mike is a commercial user with ties to EA, and his participation with regards to him expressing opinions on EA products have had to be heavily moderated in the last several months. This is due to the basic facets of the CUP:

- That a commercial user, when speaking of product he/she represents, should only respond to direct inquiries, with the facts as requested

- That a commercial user should not influence user opinion about related product

- That a commercial user should not 'diss', comment, or categorize their competitor's product.

These basic tenants are, IMO, rock solid and very necessary if TalkBass is going to continue existing as the high-profile site it's become with such heavy industry participation. My ultimate goal is for TalkBass to facilitate the sharing of unbiased, honest opinion regarding product, from unbiased sources. The participation of commercial reps is highly valued, but I feel should be kept within the bounds as outlined above.

Mike, you've been with TB so long, I understand it must be very tough to all-of-a-sudden have new restrictions placed on your posts regarding EA. It's tough for me to enforce as well, and I wouldn't put myself through it if I wasn't sure it was best for TalkBass.

The "Aggie post" referenced was my call, after the mods brought it to my attention. This was my reply to the moderators:

Mike, I'm sorry to hear that you are unable to participate within these guidelines, however I'm unable to make exceptions. As much as I'd like to see you stay on, I feel the policy must be applied universally and without preferences given.

Edits: Sorry for all the edits - my mind is still waking up this morning.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Mike, you still have my e-mail and daygig number, right? Please stay in touch and whenever you get to the city, let's grab a beer or coffee or something.

Best wishes,
    Ed

9. paul

paul Staff Member Founder Administrator

Jul 20, 2000
    Texas
    Well, I was going to post some info about Dann Glenn's departure since that was brought up, but in the interest of this thread I'll pass on that. It is fun looking through the email archives though :)

Anyway since I was so busy in the previous post defending policy I'll say here, that I appreciate your long history with TalkBass, Mike - you've been with us since the beginning practically, and on behalf of all those bass players whom you've helped along via your forum, I extend my gratitude. I hope you will always find joy in educating others, and continue to do so via every outlet available to you.

10. Bassist4Life

Bassist4Life

Dec 17, 2004
    Buffalo, NY
    Mike,

You are the primary reason that I became a TB member. I've spent more time in your forum than anywhere else. You have helped me to evolve as a musician, especially through our most recent thread on improvisation.

I hope we can continue this thread in some form in another forum. Please let me know via email where you will be giving out your knowledge and teaching, because I will be there.

You offered to host my recording of Blue Bossa on your website; will this still be possible? Can you please suggest another tune that I can begin working on? I am eager to get to work on a new project.

Sincerely,
    Joe

11. Wilbyman

Wilbyman

Sep 10, 2003
    Parkersburg, WV
    Glenn left talkbass, then left bass! I think I read somewhere that he's playing guitar now.

12. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

I am glad that I could be of some assistance. It has been and will continue to be my goal.

As a note, I will now be writing a lesson column, "The Art of Solo Bass" in Bassics Magazine.

13. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999

Thanks so much for your kind words. At heart, I am and will always be a teacher. Although my tenure here is up, I will continue to teach in one way or another. I will still be a member here and post as I can. As talkbass is rather addictive, I will always lurk :D

Mike

14. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Bruce,

we go back a long way here at TB. Along with Ed Fuqua, Jim Keller, etc. We've witnessed and been part of a great thing. We should all be proud. We've been part of the birth and maturity of, what is becoming, and institution. It is definitely cool.

Those of us that go way back have a certain bond that is and will always be part of me.

Mike

15. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks for the kind words. Yvon, we too, go way back here at TB. We've "grown old" together. It has been an honor and pleasure to have met all of you. I've learned as much from many of you as I hope you've learned from me.

Mike

16. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Unfortunatly, I lost your contact info, please PM it to me. I love hitting NYC and would love nothing more than to grab a beer or coffee with you (depending on the time of day and the quality of the coffee). Ed, you are the first TB member I met in person. You are the one member that has had the most lasting effect on TB. Your unique style, your abilty to call a spade a spade, your ability to come directly to a point and finally, what has become known as a fuguaism is, in my mind, what makes TB. Thank you!

Mike

17. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Paul,
    thank you for letting me host a forum. It is nice when both of us can benefit from the relationship - a win/win as they say. You have been most gracious and it is appreciated greatly.

Mike

18. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Thanks for the kind words. We have developed, through TB and PM and email, a wonderful and mutually beneficial relationship.

we'll email.

I will post your mp3 next week and email you the link to do with as you please and I will email you about how we can continue working on new tunes.

Mike

19. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Dann had an injury that severely limited his ability to play the bass. Even though Dann and I had issues in the past, we have come to an understanding and forgiveness. The music industry is too small to harbour ill will. My life is too full to harbour ill will. The abilty to forgive fills my life with grace. The thought of Dann's talent being hindered by injury puts perspective on things beyond our past differences.

Mike

20. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Sorry to post so much. I felt, strongly, that each of you deserved an individual reply

Mike