Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Time is nearing to when i get a new amp, help me out

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Figjam, Oct 29, 2004.

1. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Basic scenario,I'm getting a new amp this winter. I don't want to spend more than say $600, after shipping (if possible).

Used is, of course, and option, and most likely I will buy used, unless something is cheap new...

Basically here's what i want.

Head: Something that will give me about 300 watts. If possible i would like something that sounds smooth, and vintage like. I like the mids to shine through so i want something that can give me mids but of course i dont want it to have a weak low end either. Something that will have a nice funk tone. Something with crisp definition for slapping.

Cabinet: Im thinking a 2 x 12 or a 4 x10, which would be better for the sound i want?^ It will be a standalone cab, so im thinking maybe 2 x 12's, although 4 x 10's are more common, but how do they sound by themselves? I basically want it to be able to handle whatever my head throws at it, dont need anything tremendous, just something that will sound good.

Any ideas? I would greatly appreciate any help in choosing a good head/cab setup.

EDIT: i hear Ashdowns are decent http://www.zzounds.com/item--ASDMAG300H Hows that for a head? What do they sound like?

2. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Are you talking $600 for everything, or just the head? If you are looking for just a head in that price range, I would recommend the Mesa Boogie Walkabout. It's 300w into 4 ohm, and has excellent midrange. You can listen to it on basstasters.com.

And conveniently, a fellow TBer has one for sale right now at a great price! ;)

Tom.

3. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Sadly im looking at around $600 for everything. Don't really have the money to spend $600 on just a head right now.

Thanks though

4. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Well, there are a couple of fairly affordable heads on BassGear.com right now, namely an SWR Bass 350 and a Hartke 3500. There's also a good deal on an Epifani T-115 and an EA CXL-112 on BassGear.com, too. Here on TalkBass.com, I see some good prices on Aguilar GS112's, and (if I do say so myself) on an ACME Low B-2 and Raezer's Edge Bass 10 - which I am selling, just to be clear).

The Hartke 3500 and the T-115 would be a pretty darn good rig for the money, and that's just what I found in a few minutes' time.

Good luck, Tom.

5. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I have been very impressed with all the Ashdown gear that I have tried so far, but I am not familar with that particular head. Still, at that price, it seems like a strong contender. I would take it over a Behringer any day, but then I am somewhat biased towards Behringer because of their "reverse engineering" practices.

Tom.

7. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Is ashdown usually refered to as a low quality/low end amp or is it respectable?

8. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Respectable, in my book.

9. Ashdowns are awesome, even the cheaper ones. You should be able to find a used cab or a cab factory direct.
    I know where you can get ashdowns, ampegs and edens cheap so email me if you want.

10. MaXell

MaXell

Jan 23, 2004
    Maryland
    Hey, if an Ashdown is good enough for Roger Waters, its good enough for me.

Seriously, I love my UK built MAG250-210. Not a single regret since I bought it.

Jeff

11. i would get the the behringer bx3000t head and a avatar 2x12 should be aroudn 500 bucks i have the same setup and it is infact great! get the 2x12 in 4ohms

12. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Ive always had Avatar in my mind as a cab because i hear they are great and arent too expensive new. I was tihnking of an Avatar 2 x 12 (4 ohm) with the Ashdown head perhaps. Thatd run me a little over my budget but i could always sell my current amp (Ampeg B100r) to soften the blow a little.

13. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
  14. karrot-x

karrot-x Banned

Feb 21, 2004
    Omicron Persei 8
    I'm confused on the MAG 300H....they say it's 307 RMS and then state that the minimum impediance is 4 ohms. Usually the minimum impediance is 8 ohms and the RMS is stated at 4 :/.

I'm guessing you're going to buy the 4 ohm version of the B212, which would mean that you would getting 307 watts into it *if* they have the RMS stated for 4 ohms.

15. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    So since they have the minimum impediance at 4, 4 ohms would give me 307 watts?

16. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    According to the Ashdown site, most/all of their heads have minimum impediance at 4 ohms, so i believe that stat is correct.

17. {OE}

{OE}

Sep 23, 2004
    Connecticut, U.S.

+1

Not to bash or anything, but I'd play Crate before behringer. :eek:

+1 for the Ashdown/Avatar rig. :bassist:

SWR and Eden may be good choices to look at as well as they have "fallen out of favor" with many so they are quite numerous and can often be had fairly cheap.

:shrugs: I still like SWR and Eden anyway....

18. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    Yea ive been paying attention to the SWR 350 watt head and it looks pretty nice although from what ive heard of the SWR tone im not sure id like it.

The more i look at it the more i think ill like the Ashdown. My local music shop doesnt carry Ashdowns, unfortunately, but from the reviews, i think itd be a safe head to buy without playing through first. Same goes for the Avatar.

19. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    ROFL.

20. Figjam

Figjam

Aug 5, 2003
    Boston, MA
    explain?