Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

"Time is running out" effect... can you help me?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by greenwood128, Apr 11, 2004.

1. greenwood128

greenwood128

Apr 11, 2004
    Hi... I play in a cover group and I want to find the same effect of the first part of "Time is running out" by Muse... I have the "Behringer Bass V-Amp Pro" and the Midi foot controller "Behringer FCB1010"... can you help me? :help:
    thank you

2. There is very little info in your profile. So, we know nothing about you.
    As I know nothing about the band you are inquiring about. I expect you may get some more replies on the EB side. This is the DB side of TB. Good luck.

3. I have tried this with distortion, and it doesn't quite sound thick enough, so I think he might be using synth. Hope this answered your question.

4. Indigo

Indigo

Feb 19, 2004
    Örebro, Sweden
    I haven´t heard that song you´re talking about, but I´ve heard that the bassist of Muse is using synth bass. He has two rigs on stage, one with the original bass sound, and another one with synth sounds, triggered with some sort of synth-mic on the bass. Possibly a Roland, but I don´t know.

5. supernaut_1

supernaut_1 Guest

Dec 16, 2002
    Texas
    i've heard that he uses two big muffs, but i don't know.....synth and distortion would make sense too.....

6. It isn't 2 big muffs, I have experimented with 2 (mine and my guitarists) and it makes nothing like the sound. Other rumours I have heard are - That he uses a Zvex Fuzz Factory (like Matt uses, built into his Manson guitars), that he uses something on his Akai Deep Impact to create the sound (never played one so I don't know if this is anything like true). And finally and I believe most likely, that since he has is known for using bass synths, he modelled it of a keyboard (during the early live performances of TIRO he used a keyboard for the verses and his bass for ther bridges/choruses).
    Hope this helps, I've been pondering for a while, I just got more interested in creating the Hysteria sound! (I use Big Muff and Boss Bass Synth to get close)

7. lildrgn

lildrgn

Jul 11, 2000
    Seattle, WA
    I've seen him play keyboard bass in videos, but live in Seattle the other day, he played it on his bass. Unfortunately I couldn't see his effects setup so I have no clue what he used but you might get an idea from here.

8. As far as I've seen, he only uses the "keyboard" on unintended. He plays the bassline with his feet on a pedal-keyboard, while playing the lead guitar. Pretty impressive :D

I know he has a big muff pi (russian) in his rack, and also some kind of akai synth thing.

I've tried to get close to the sound. By using overdrive, and adding some compression (which really isn't nescessary) I get close, but no cigar :scowl:

I've also heard that you can mix overdrive with Octaver. I don't really see how this gives the sound, but you may try. I know he has a OC-2 in his rack.

So I'm passing the ball.. who can solve the "mystery"? What gives the exact sound? (and is it possible without using lots of stompboxes?)

9. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    there is a very recent post on this that answers your question.

chris uses the akai deep impact to get the TIRO sound. although it sounds like a thick distortion it is not. on the deep impact synth he uses a saw wave (which makes it sound distorted) and turns the decay rate up to max. I have been able to get this sound on a boss syb-3 and syb-5.

i think your v-amp has synth effects? if so, select a saw waveform and turn up the decay rate to max. also turn your effect level up to max, and your direct level pretty much down to min. you might have to play around a bit to find the correct frequency.

as for hysteria it is said chris uses two big muffs in series. i think he also uses some synth to get the zippy sound. you can get pretty close to this sound with an octave pedal and a single big muff, or muff fuzz for those of you using boss multi fx boards.

10. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    Fwiw- I'm pretty sure it is a deep impact, but theres something behind it as I can't get the sound spot on. Pretty sure there's a fuzz after it (I don't have one handy, but using a BDDI afte the deep impact gets me closer.)

11. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    are you talking about tiro still? because i can get that sound almost exactly by doing what i said above on the syb-5 with the maxed decay rate, direct sound to a minimum... no other effects needed. id imagine the deep impact sound would be a bit more throaty than the syb-5, bringing it closer to the tiro sound.

any chance you would sell/trade that deep impact of yours?

12. Toasted

Toasted

May 26, 2003
    Leeds, UK
    I can get almost the exact sound out of either my deep impacts running before a light fuzz, and also out of my crowther audio prunes and custard

13. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    can any of you deep impact users emulate the synth bass sound in citizen erased? thats the sound im really chasing... that scratchy analog synth sound.

14. dirtgroove

dirtgroove

Jan 10, 2003
    Taipei, Taiwan
    yes- deep impact- octaver- fuzz .
    It's as easy as that.
    I get pretty damn close going deep impact, digitech synth (octaver), boss HM2

15. jammadave

jammadave Rudderless ship Supporting Member

Oct 15, 2003
    Wash DC metro area
    TIRO = Woolly Mammoth, to my ears. I've got one for sale, dontchaknow, which I bought just because of this sound, then realized I just don't need this sound =0)