Time keeping/metronome exercises?

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Switched, Jun 6, 2005.

1. My search-fu is weak. :(

Does anyone have some good workouts I can use to simply strengthen my timing? There seems to be no end of lessons on just about everything _but_ timing. I'm really looking for something to add to my practice routine a couple of times a week.

I know, I know. I should be doing everything with a metronome, but I'd like something that specifically targets timing. Ed Friedland had an article on Bass Player's site, but they seem to have taken away the archives. If anyone remembers it, that was the kind of thing I'm looking for. :)

Thanks! --Matt ;^]
  2. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    The idea of practicing with a click is to get your timing solid AND feeling the pulse of the music different ways.
    What I would suggest is to get something a little more sophisticated then just a metronome if you can like, quantized loops or drum machine (programmable if possible) or a metronome with subdivision of the beats. If not just stick to the metronome.
    Then play quarter notes at 60 per exemple with your click set at 60 as well and play really tight with it and listen carefully to put every note right in the middle of the click. You can use open strings,then 1 octave scale and then play something that make your fretted hand moves like an 1 octave scale on 1 string.

Now you can put your click around 30 or so and play the same exercices you did before at the same speed but now you play 2 notes per click. You can put the click on the 1&3 or even better on the 2&4 and tap your foot too on 2&4 as well,that will make the exercices feel differently.
    You can go on like this with any numbers like 3,4 even 5,6 and 7 and if you want up to 8 which will give you 32's notes per beat.
    Hope this will help you starting,
    ruiinaba likes this.